Using strida on snow/ice

Hi,

with 36 spokes on a 355 rim, it’s packed dense. You want a small elegant spoke wrench.
I used park tool size No. 1 or 3,2 mm, respectively.
I saw a video where snow clogged between Belt disk and bottom bracket was mentioned.
I wouldn’t mind that too much. Snow settles everywhere, doesn’t it?
I can’t imagine snow being an issue there.
It’s more that snow gets clogged between tyre and fender. At least that’s my major winter problem with bikes and snow.

regards: Klaus

2 Likes

Thank you! Now I bought the tires and park tool. I will remove the fenders as you suggested.
Ming in their catalog is warning us not to use their bike on ice. They didn’t mention why. Maybe because of the tires
I think one gear strida is more safe on snow as it can’t go as fast as Evo. :thinking:

1 Like

@KWie are you able to roll the bike normally with studied tires ?

1 Like

Hello,

i can put the wheels together with the 42-355 studded tyres. The same is true for the 44-355 i enjoy so much on my 18". However, as of now, i can not roll it as i was used to. I’ll have to find some time to apply spacers betwen the hubs and the magnet (or the magnetic plate or both)
I guess, changing the distance between the folded wheels is described somewhere?
I’ll find that time somewhen…

2 Likes

Hello guys,

there are several methods to reach your target, plz check these threads:
make-wheels-further-apart-when-folded-redux
maxxis-hookworm-16-x-1-95-53-305-tyre-request
16-custom-wheels-radial-36-spoked
strida-front-wheel-magnet-spacer
Preferably should the spacer be used at the front wheel, this keeps the magnet catch function 100% intact.

The required thickness can be calculated like so:
Wider tyre width minus initial tyre width = thickness spacer.

If you like such aluminium spacers as shown above in the second thread (plus longer bolts) you could drop me a pm.

Cheers,

Chris

2 Likes

I bought 42-355 bases on your article.:blush: I am looking forward to hear how it went

1 Like

Hi,
Congrats.
I am so overwhelmed by the performance with spikes on snow/ice, that I have purchased a spare set of 42-355 tyres.
I‘m satisfied as it is but if I can find the time, I’ll optimise the wheels distance.

2 Likes

I didn’t try them yet because the back tire bolt head stripped and I was hardly able to remove it. Now I am waiting for replacement bolt to arrive. The ice is melting here and the ground is a combination of tiny gravels, ice, snow and asphalt. I bet there is no one tire that can suites all this mixture really well. But I assume that the winter tires are a better fit? :thinking: Probably winter tires without the studs :grin:

1 Like

What are You doing?

I set off my rims while the wheels remained mounted to the frame. I just turned the frame side spokes 1/4 Revolution to the loose side and the opposite ones 1/4 rotation to the stiff side. I do have a spoke tension gauge and we talk tolerances here, so You can do what best suits Your needs on Your Strida.
I change tyres without removing the wheels, too.
No need for disassembling the wheels.
The spikes tyres do compromise grip on dry cobblestone pavement, but You‘ll always be able to be in control if You don‘t push it too hard.
You can go all winter on studded tyres, but as it is and they are no longer in production, I won’t wear off a studded tyre if I don‘t have to.
Of course, I love the convenience of having my 18“ on studded tyres and the 16“ on conventional ones in winter time. A look out of the window tells me which Strida to pick!
However, as it‘s like 20 Minutes to conveniently change both tyres, If the weather is dry, I love my 18“ on 44-355.
If Your wheels are prepared for studded 42-355, the 44-355 fit, too. These are perfectly great on pebbles, asphalt, cobblestone… Not better than the 16“ on 47-305 though. The 47-305 are absolutely fine with me. If they are worn out, i might change to 50-305 but that would require 18“ fenders on the 16“ Strida.
So are the 42-355 and 44-355. I do even keep my 40-355 as they are good enough to be used. All of these are much of an emprovement as compared to the ridiculously narrow 32-355.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I was just doing DIY experiment to try to make the bike fold and roll normally with studded tries. Then I realized that there are articles about this here already.

This is bad news that the winter tires 42-355 discontinued. :-1:t2:
Regards,

1 Like

Hi,
Sad news :disappointed: Yesterday I changed the winter tires from 42-355 back to the normal one 32-355.
I was surprised to see that there was around 2mm groove on the bike body caused by the rear tire.
I don’t know why this happened. When I mounted the 42-355 tires I made sure that the tire is not touching the body ( around 2-3 mm tolerance). What caused this ?
Is it the small gravel that is used here everywhere to prevent slipping?
Is it because of applying weight (82 me + 1 accessories + 5 backpack = 88 kg) the tolerance change ?
Or the tolerance was not enough for the dirt to escape?
Unfortunately it was hard to notice that something is happening before changing the tire . I should have paid more attention. I didn’t notice sound or drag. I thought the dirt accumulation on the body is normal due to the low tolerance (there is no space for the debris to move freely).
Anyway, now I have around 1-2 mm grooves on both tubes where the rear tire touch the tube.

Do you think it is still safe to ride this bike ?

1 Like

Hi Alaa,
actually I’m very surprised that you did not notice anything (sound or drag)!
I did know that effect from my EVO (with the extremely wide 16" Van’s tyres) - unloaded there was gap (maybe 1-2 mm), but once loaded (with me) the tyre started to touch the frame.
Next time, before you use the 42er tyres again, you need to spoke the rim a bit to the left side, like Klaus mentioned.
Personally, I do not think this will be a problem, but naturally, you should check the area regularly for cracks :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :slightly_smiling_face:
Interesting to see that rubber can grind the aluminum. Combination of heat, dirt,… etc became like saw. :sweat_smile:I didn’t expect this frankly. I thought that the tire will just get stuck or will give noise. I think 2mm tolerance is not enough maybe 2 more mm will do the trick (4mm int total). I will the spoke adjustment later

1 Like