The 3-speed Strida

BTW, now (folding the bike) the yellow bar doesn’t go as back as with the older Stridas.

It uses a plastic piece to hold the bar.

Is it due any (unknown) change to the bike?

On the other hand I’ve seen that the locking piece (to mount the bike) has been… over-engineered?

When I received my EVOs I noticed the clip to hold the folded bottom tube, I think it is because of the heavier bottom bracket and the previous friction fit not being secure enough for the extra weight.http://cycleforfun.ca/?p=516
Bill

Sara of Ming cycle told us kindly at the last Eurobike:

The reason for the use of the plastic double clamp is the bigger weight of the new bottom tube (due to the weight of the gear box).
Irrelevant for storing, very important for transporting (pushing “her” forwards in folded status), the plastic clamp is much more safe than the old fashioned locking method.
The EVO still can be folded as usual, but the heavy bottom tube might unlock self-acting and, in worst case, destroy/damage the plastic beltwheel.

And btw, this clamp is not really new, it is in use for the Strida mini too:
(Picture date 16. 03. 2008)

Here’s an up-to-date pic of Strida France:

The mentioned reinforcement is also a part of the EN compliant (new) frame version,
more about the EN testing you can find already here:

[url]MAS two speed reviewed]

[url]Strida SX, 2010 model versus a 2011]

Of course you’re right Bill :smiley:

Thanks for your EVO pics, these are my favourites:

Thanks Blackstridaaustria for resizing and posting my photos. I also have the EVO in brushed aluminium with the same accessories but with the snow and winter here and Christmas I have yet to get one out of the box and take photos, something to look forward to doing in the new year. Bill

Thanks to BlackStrida for posting the Sunrace/Sturmey-Archer manual for the KS3 3 speed (in September).

Disappointing to see how feeble that manual is - not even an exploded view, unlike the former Sturmey-Archer manuals (or the excellent Schlumpf speed drive manual for that matter). Looks like we’ll have to rely on a brave owner to do a stripdown and report on the internal design pluses and minuses.

Sunrace/SA have been having a lot of trouble recently with their newish S2C kickback 2 speed breaking up and jamming - let’s hope the kickback KS3 proves more solid in extended use.

I might be wrong, but it looks to me that the usage of this plastic clamp makes the lateral movement of the bottom tube useless. If this is the case, then it would be possible to have a different (=more rigid and more robust) rear wheel fixation system, without Belleville washer. :smiley:

Can the bottom tube of the EVO still move slightly laterally?

Hi friends,

don’t miss Peter Eland’s article about the EVO :wink:

STRIDA & Enrique Casanovas @ UK VELOVISION magazine

Velo Vision issue 44 / page 23
http://www.velovision.com/index.php

My brand new Strida EVO:

Indeed very nice…thanks for the pic! :sunglasses:

Please could you tell us something about the folding, like already mentioned above by Bietrume?

It is not a must to use the double plastic clamp, the tubes can still be folded like shown below, correct?

Strida EVO - gearshift instruction video on Strida news page!

Yes you can still clamp it between the two other tubes.
Actually I am still doing this when I put it between seats in train, because it is quite a bit lower then.
In some trains it doesn’t fit with the clamp.
I’m still using the clamp when it’s folded for a long time.
I was thinking there must be some reason they provide the clamp now, but what is it?
Strain on back axis in long run?

It has been posted before, the clamp is due the new transmission weight.

Many thanks for the affirmation!

As Carlos71 mentioned above, resolved already by Sara, please jump here.

Thanks for pointing us to the info.
Loving every bit of the EVO, btw!

You lucky guys…

Still no EVO in sight for Austria :imp:

Actually also not yet in Belgium.
I couldn’t wait and shipped it from UK, velorution.com/ .

Another small difference I noticed compared to my Strida SX is the different brake calliper.

:question:

Please may I ask what’s different or maybe do you have any pic? :mrgreen:

I was voted " EVO", too… :smiley:

EVOs on sale in the USA (says shipping mid-April!)

qualitytoys.com/strida.html

Does anyone know a dealer that has these in the NYC metro area? I really want to try one! (I have a Duo now, for about a year.)

My NYC dealership won’t be selling any of the 3-speeds, unfortunately, so I need to find a dealer near NYC that has them for a test ride.

Thanks for any info!