Tensioning belt

Good morning,
My Strida makes a thud when I press hard on the pedals.
I think it’s my belt that’s not tight enough.
Besides, how to know if the belt of his Strida is stretched optimally? And how to tighten it. I understood that it is played here, but once the screw is loosened, which must be done to tighten the belt, I do not understand.
Thank you for your help (I am French, sorry if I express myself badly^^)

1 Like

Hi,

You wish to have a 60mm hook spanner. Please refer to @Blackstridaaustria’s topic: Strida workshop tool guide.
Loosen the nut screw that should fix the bottom bracket in position and loosen the bolt of Your kick stand.
With a kick stand mounted, like You have it, my experiene is that the forces You can apply to Your kick stand are good enough to tighten the belt with the aluminum bottom bracket. It’s more difficult with the old plastic bottom bracket.
There is a way more than sufficient solution for aluminum and plastic bottom brackets, that i described in: Upgrade Your Strida: Bring down the bottom bracket.
However, with the aluminum bottom bracket and a kick stand, i don’t consider such a modification necessary.
The optimum belt tension:
You need more belt tension in the rain as the friction is not the same where belt and freewheel are wet. Tension Your belt so that it is sufficient for Your needs in dry weather and You’ll need more belt tension in the rain.
I ride my Stridas with a “just enough” approach to the belt tension as this has the least possible amount of wear and losses in the drive train. This is where the individual rider will have to find their way to go.
Optimum belt tension according to the strida manual is when You need some 3,25 to 4,25 kg of weight to press the belt down to the bottom tube where the belt crosses that tube (Strida manual_2018, p 24/30). This test is to be done wit the Strida in riding configuration and not while it’s folded.
For me, i like the thought that the belt feels like the E-string (the low pitch one) of a base guitar when i ipick it. My belt feels tight but not overtensioned like the high pitch strings of a guitar would feel.
My experience is that the aluminum freewheel does not need as much tension as the plastic freewheel of older Stridas.
You have found Your belt tension so You hold it while You tighten the nut screw (part No. 130-05) arresting the bottom bracket. Tighten the screw that holds the kick stand and You are ready to go.

regards: Klaus

1 Like

Bonjour Flavien,

first; please don’t worry, many of us do not speak our mothers tongue here :wink:

Ming cycle did never give us a correct amount of tension!
Moreover that, it would be complicated to measure.
It can be done only by feeling, sorry.

The bottom bracket is in fact an excenter.
Tightening/loosening (adjusting) works by rotating the excenter clockwise/counterclockwise.
To rotate the excenter, please remove the bolt 474 (kickstand bolt) with an Allen key (8 mm) AND loosen the big groove nut at the left side of the excenter with a hook key (Ø 60 mm).
Note that both elements (bolt AND groove nut) have to be tight after adjusting.

The problem here is the following:
To describe a belt tension, there are always two amounts required - weight and deflection!
Ming cycle gives just one, so there is no chance to reproduce.

thank you to both of you, i have understant.
Where i can find a hook key (60mm) ? in any store? or Strida.nl ?

1 Like

Principially in any (well sorted) tool store.
There are also keys with a range (for example 58 - 65 mm) which will work too.
Just one thing - the “nose” of the key has to match the groove of the nut.
So - if possible - try the key before buying it.

That is my favourite, it would cost ~ 25 € (high quality, lasts for a lifetime):
Hook key 58-65 mm

thank you very much !!!

1 Like

Hi,

i’ve got an adjustable 60 to 90 mm hook wrench. Price somewhere 22 €.
But the massive adjustable hook wrench gets in the way so i really have to plan my actions when i use it.
The cheap and simple slim 60mm hook wrenches ( clé (auch: clef) à crochet) are even better fo the Strida.

regards: Klaus

1 Like