Keep Strida Original - say NO to Fakes!

Oh so Ebay doesn’t even allow people to sell fakes? Or are they just stopping them from disguising the fakes as legitimate stridas?

Ebay has never actually allowed fakes as that would be illegal. It’s just that they didn’t make any effort in removing them unless you were a favoured contact of theirs such as Rolex or Nintendo. Hopefully things are improving now, but buyers hsould still be extra careful with auction purchases.

if the seller is not saying it is a Strida, how can it be considered a fake? If I have a watvch that looks like a Rolex but I say it’s a gold watch, I am not saying it is a Rolex so i assume I wouldn’t be sued. I saw a “fake Strida” on ebay today but it just says it’s a folding bike. I’ve read there is a patnet and also heard there was patent but it expired. Anyway, I’m riding a Strida I bought second and it is a great bike so I am happy with it. I wouldn’t buy the knowckoff because of the question of quality but if I didnt have $400 I paid for the used Strida, I might.

Ebay just got sued for 30 million :open_mouth: for listing fake YSL and other brands.

Fake drugs, bikes and any other object that can harm are particularly evil. fakers dont care if they hurt people and exploit in unregulated factories - lets face it, they are criminals so why should they.

BTW I believe there are several patents, copyrights, trade markes etc. that cover Strida and bikes that look like Strida.

Another fake?

sorida.com

STRIDA Declaration from Ming Cycle
mingcycle.com.tw/upload/Imag … 08-Apr.pdf

I have owned a Strida 3 for 5 years and during this time has given me faithful every day service (2 miles per day). Yesterday the seat broke off… Fortunately it didn’t kill me as I had just set off from where I park my car.

My point is that Strida are not holier than thou in the selling of their bikes. They admit that the Strida 1-2 was downright dangerous and even my 3 has suffered a similar fate. Also when I bought mine I was supposed to receive a 3.1 - it was only much later I realised they had sent an “old” 3.

Therefore, I would consider a fake strida as looking closely at these bikes they still offer better quality than Strida are producing with the 3.whatever it is these days. I yearn for a machine that doesn’t have the crappy plastic BB holder!

My budget doesn’t run to a Strida 5 which looks an excellent product, but I’d rather ride a fake Strida (in the knowledge that they owe me one over my original purchase) than a cheaper form of fold up bike (poor folding, oily chains, exposed cables etc)…

Hi

Following my previous post, I have now purchased a “copy” Chinese Strida 5. It cost £160 and on the face of it looks to be a well engineered item. There are definite signs of quality, all spokes are stainless, rims run true and brakes are decent. The cranks are also of a decent quality.

The BB is on an eccentric so belt adjustment will be easy.

The handlebars fold well, it is equipped with neat folding pedals and even has the rear mudguard extension.

It even came with a bag and rudimentary toolkit.

Yes, I feel bad about buying a copy - but my feedback would be that the majority of the price difference between this Chinese copy and an original, is the profit that Strida’s new manufacturers are putting on their bicycles…

Also, copy or not it is night and day better than my previous Strida 3!

Ringo

Well Ringo, from the point of view of economic self-interest your decision is logical. That’s what makes the market for copies of anything viable. You have weighed the costs (no support, no warranty (?), possible unknown engineering defects) vs the benefits (money saved) and made your rational choice. Obviously, many other people make the same choice as you; otherwise there wouldn’t be any copies on the market.

However, for those who might be tempted to follow in Ringo’s footsteps, let me point out the obvious: if everyone did it, they’d stop making new Stridas. We are now at the Strida 5.0 and its variations. What would the incentive have been for the manufacturer to continue developing and improving this product if so many more people had made Ringo’s choice than had chosen to buy the real thing? We’d still be at Strida 1.0.

Perhaps it is lucky that the Strida has such an unusual design. That is one of the main reasons why I personally would be mistrustful of a copy: did they really get it right, or is this thing going to collapse while I’m going down a hill at 30km/h or more?

I would rather that someone bought a folder from one of Strida’s competitors. At least that would provide an incentive to Strida to continue improving their design.

StridaD

You are right with the exception of one thing. In my previous post I noted that Strida 1’s, 2’s and to a certain extent 3’s could be considered to be dangerous… Another deciding factor was the service I received from Strida when I bought a brand new Strida 3.1 and received an inferior 3.0…

Given that Strida’s inventor has old on all his IP rights do you really think there is much in the way of improvements in the pipeline? I’m afraid I just see profiteering on behalf of the current licence holders for Strida products.

I don’t know where you live, but if you are ever near Leeds, I’d welcome the chance to show you my copy over a pint!

Ringo

Hi Ringo,
I hope you enjoy your Strida copy … but P_Lease dont knock the product that spawned it, the company that makes it and, the people who distribute and market it and the rest of us who support it by buying the real thing.

I can understand if you simply can’t or won’t afford a genuine strida and really wanted one … but your reasons sound to me more like self justification - like you hear (and we all make :smiley: ) for accepting fakes and copies, eg MP3’s, fake watches, doggy DVD’s etc. and other so called ‘victimless crimes’. But where do you draw the line ? …
Fake baby milk ? fake Drugs ?

And sorry but your argument that Strida 3 and earlier are dangerous is just not true !
I think the seat mounting you broke is the same as on the latest Strida5, and from what I have experienced on my Strida3 it is almost bomb proof (certainly baggage handler proof - which is virtually the same these days :slight_smile: ) - the only things that can go wrong are down to user adjustment (or lack thereof) eg loose seat clamps allowing rotation or over tight saddle clamp underneath saddle which can crush the mouldings.

I have found strida service to be 1st class … they replaced my Strida3 freewheel, after 2 years fairly hard daily use, completely FOC, and even let me keep the spare pulley etc. I am sure if you asked they would sell or even give you a new seat mounting - they are that sort of company.

Also, if you read the forums and websites you’ll find there are several patents still in force and the designer is still involved even though Ming own the IP. There are new models coming out (just launched in the USA). From what i know, few make any money in the bike business - even the fakers!! who also probably have a substandard factory, near slave labour reject materials etc. to be able to down the pecking order (if at all) :unamused: .

Here are some websites about fakes and Strida development (posted elswhere but worth repeating for your pleasure) …

myauthentics.com/myths.html
leonarhodo.exblog.jp/6411822/#6411822_1
strida.us/Tips-from-Mark.pdf
strida.us/flashden/strida-story.asp
video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc … 8798&hl=en
bicycledesign.blogspot.com/2008/ … nders.html

Enjoy your, cough, ‘Strida’

I still don’t see how they justify $800 for one of these. Sorry, but I don’t see $800 worth of material on the whole bike. Perhaps if they didn’t cost so much, there wouldn’t be any fakes.

I’m not going to get into forum tennis, but I cannot let the assertion that Strida 1 & 2 are not considered dangerous go…

About a year ago, before the Strida site was revamped there was a statement that Strida 1 & 2’s were no longer supported for parts as they were considered a liability. Specifically, the seat mounting which was prone to break off… As “compensation” to all owners od Strida 1,2 & 3, Strida offered £100 off a new Strida 3.1 if the serial number of the original bike was supplied. I notice this offer is no longer available…

On a more positve note, I would be interested to know if you have the contact details for Strida spares… I would like to be able to purchase a seat moulding.

Ringo

Ringo - Think about when a company buys a project from another company, they (or rather their insurance company) don’t want to have to under-right the previous companies products, that backdated 15 years - which bike company would ?? … hence the comment when the company changed hands in 1999. Its all there if you look. As for price, its funny but in most countries where Strida is sold it appears to be quite well priced, and even a relative bargain compared to obvious competitors - its just in the USA where people seem to expect everything to cost peanuts !! Luckily there are plenty of generic fold in half bikes there for people who just dont get the engineering that goes into making something simple.

If you think Fake stridas are OK, and like to save a few dollars go ahead - but dont expect the fake makers to have your interests in mind - do you think they care if they use substandard materials ? any old Aluminium ? no testing ? no service. Who would you trust ? a faceless chinese factory who just moves only copying anything they might make a quick buck on (bikes today, car parts tomorrow, airplane parts next and drugs the day after ???)

I am not an apologist for Strida, and own several folding bikes. Before I got a strida - I heard all sorts of cr*p (like this) about how bad they are, etc. mainly from the UK … ironically where it was designed, (what is it with Brits shooting down their own folk) … but when I got one I found quite the opposite - they are simply brilliant !!

I believe the expression is never the twain shall meet!

Us Brits tend to knock our own for the following reasons. We have a history of innovation and always want things to be better…

Unfortunately, our history is littered with companies who used their customers as the testers, Lotus were synominous for it. TVR the same. Remember the Deloreans that were built in Britain and were so shoddily built - the management hoped the boat would sink when shipping them over to you guys! British Leyland - don’t even go there… Strida I’m afraid fell into the same category… Your economy is built on customer service.

So we are not whinging Limeys, just on past expectations we tend to find fault in most things…

Honestly, if you saw the quality of the copy you would be impressed. I may even try to post some pictures… You are right about my purchase not helping Strida develop their product. I would have loved to have been in a position to buy an original but with 2 kids and one paycheck - it wasn’t an option.

Yes, I could have bought an “old fashioned” folder but having been spoiled by 5 years experience of Strida’s simple fold/unfold system, I would have cursed every time I had to fold/unfold or carry the thing into work!

Fair enough !! :smiley:

Dont get me wrong … its one more bike which has to be good in the big scheme of things which is better than not … as i said, enjoy it :sunglasses:

As promised, I have (hopefully) posted some pictures. Really, this bike is so good - is there any chance Strida’s manufacturers are knocking them out as a sideline. Where is the Strida 5 built?

As has been stated these copies come with no warranty and I have to take their word for them claiming the frame tubes to be 7000 series aluminium… but I am happy with the level of engineering and consider it safe. I will start a new thread in a month or so with observations of the bike in use. However if you’ve got the money buy an original!

The photo’s aren’t as good as I would like the site seems to have cropped them in a strange way.

Ringo

I’ve learnt something - right click the image and there is an option to view. You can then see each image in its uncropped glory!

Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh Ringo? If there is a significant difference (the original weighing approximately 9.5 kg) then that might indicate that it is not the material that they claim. Or that the tubes are thicker because of the different machining.

Also wondering about the “chain ring” (or whatever it is called on a Strida). Do I see teeth on the chain ring in the photo? Is this what the original Strida chain ring looks like too? I wonder why these are necessary.