Strida Bike Safety

From your experience with Strida bike, could you share your thoughts about the safety related to this delicate bike?
Have you heard of some accidents and what have caused it?
I assume that as foldable minimal lightweight bike with sometime not perfect materials choices like the plastic ball joint holder, there might be some compromises related to safety. So I think Strida riders should be more vigilant when using their bike than others.

What could go wrong while riding it and how to minimize the risks?

First; consider your Strida as a tender lady and treat her accordingly.

Don’t do wheelies, no standup-pedaling and no curbstone hopping!

Yes, I have heard of some accidents, but, just like you, I was too lazy to search the forum :innocent: :rofl: so the following is just what I remember:

• The bottom tube can break (pretty rare), usually between bottom bracket and locking mechanism, close to the bottom bracket.
    I do believe such an issue will be either a factory (welding) issue or bad treatment, perhaps a mix of both.
    Hint: Clean her regularly and inspect her with love and great attention; cracks do not happen within minutes and you should be able to see fine lines (beginning cracks) in time. If you find something suspicious then hire immediately professionals for further inspection.

• Seat tubes can break, too (rare); especially if you’re big and heavy!
    If so, do not mount the seat molding so that the lower edge of the molding and the lower seat pin hole in the frame line up - mount it either a bit lower or higher. The tubes broke directly at that hole, seems the hole works as some kind of perforation if the molding is too close.

• The “ears” on the front (steering) tube, which are connected to the locking mechanism (216), can break (also rare).
    I do believe that this issue can happen only if one of the two bolts (274) was loose. If the right bolt is loose, the left “ear” will be overstressed and break - and vice-versa.
    Hint: Check regularly if these two bolts are tight.

• Belts with too low tension can be risky:
    It is possible that the belt slips off from the freewheel and gets caught between freewheel and hub - the rear wheel can be blocked that way.
    Hint: I’ll quote here Mark Sanders words (from “Tips from Mark.pdf”):
    “Keep belt tension as low as you can tolerate.”
    and add:
    “…but as high as necessary (to avoid belt slipping).”

2 Likes

First days using it, it was very hard keeping it straight. For example I almost made an accident while trying to raise my hand to signal.

Lots of people that tried my strida noticed the same thing. It turns a lot faster than normal bikes. So not that stable in this respect. I don’t generally ride with no hands on the handle bar, but I would assume it is much much more harder to do that on a strida.

1 Like

I have never heard of anybody who could ride Strida with no hands!

But I do know one poor bloke personally who had really big trouble with the stability of his Strida. In his case we found out later that he was riding without the ball bearing 100-04, that’s the lower one at the bottom tube, this bearing was defective since the first day (His Strida was bought used).
Without this bearing, the bike is still “functional”, but there is enormous play at the connection to the locking mechanism (part 216).
Please check if both bearings (100-03 and 100-04) are complete and present. The bearings do not need to run perfect.

1 Like

If the tyre pressure is low enough I can ride my strida without hands. Well… in a straight line :wink:

The only thing really to be careful of with a strida is the front brake, hit too hard and you will basically topple over the front… I have had this happen twice. Both times I was able to actually not fall and run into it hehe. I have seen this happen to others on youtube as well.

2 Likes

:laughing:
Indeed, the front brake works very well :yum:
I’ve also managed to survive one “close-to-faceplant” without any damage :nerd_face:

At this chance; welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:
and have a safe ride,

Chris

2 Likes