Hello mates from London

I just passed 72 this week and have been living in London for three years now. I was in Thailand for a long time before that.
There I rode a GT hybrid bike with nexave gears for a bit of exercise a few times a week, mostly early mornings when it was nice and cool and fresh, nothing serious.
One day I was doing a visa run to the border with Burma and visited the big market there, full of stuff from China. I spotted a very unusual bike which appeared to be a folder but looking at it it was hard to work out what it looked like unfolded. The shop staff demonstrated it to me and I was quite intrigued.
I decided to buy it (as it only cost £100 whereas my other bike was £300+) and it came with a large carrying bag so I slung it over my back and took it home, riding on my Honda motorcycle.
At home I searched the internet and came to realise that it was a copy of a Strida, genuine ones costing about £500 at that time.
I found out that Strida was invented by an English designer and was mainly for use as a commuter bike. Its aluminium tubular frame, internal brake cables and belt drive makes it easy to maintain and clean. It’s quick to fold and in that configuration doesn’t need to be carried as it can be rolled along like a folded pushchair. It only has a single gear so isn’t fast or made for long distances but is fine around the city as long as it’s not too hilly.
It’s handlebars and pedals fold too if needed, to make it a slim package for taking on a crowded bus or tube.
It has 16" wheels and disc brakes, although early versions have drum brakes. The seat is adjustable for height, although not easily and requires tools. A plastic rack is under the seat for small light things such as a spare tube and repair kit and perhaps a waterproof.
Sometimes I took it in the luggage compartment of a bus on a trip to the city, allowing me to get about easily and cost free. I even once took it on a visa trip to Vientiane in Laos where it got many odd looks from people where the bicycle was still the main form of transport for many.
Coming to London I can use the buses, tube and trains free with my Freedom pass which covers the greater London area.
My brother-in-law gave me his Brompton as he has Parkinson’s and doesn’t ride now.
Great because folding bikes are allowed on all buses and underground so if I get a puncture or I’ve just had enough cycling from tiredness or weather I can get home easily.
I joined the London Brompton Club on Facebook and go on rides with them every month or so.
My Brompton has five gears so is good for longer and faster rides than my Stridas.
Remembering the fun I had on my Strida in Thailand I searched a bit but could only find secondhand ones on eBay.
The inventor sold the patent to Ming cycles in Taiwan so they are only produced there (the real ones not the copies.)
There are dealers in Canada, Holland, Japan, Australia but no longer in the UK.
Facebook marketplace usually has a few too.
I got one from eBay and used it mainly for fun, just riding alone, into and around the city and parks and along the canal tow paths.
I joined a Strida group on Facebook and post photos taken on my rides.
The inventor Mark Sanders, also a member, pointed out that mine was a copy. A week later I saw a great condition early mk.3 real Strida on eBay and got that, so I now have two plus my Brompton.
Often the 16" wheels on a Brompton feel a bit twitchy compared to a larger bike and the strange configuration of the shorter wheelbase Strida is even more so, but easy to get used to.
I think I prefer the plastic wheels on my Strida mk.3 because several spokes broke on the rear wheel (where all the weight is) of my copy and it cost quite a bit for the local bike shop to replace them.
I ride my Strida alone since I’ve not met any other riders here in London yet. So to keep me company I play music from my playlist on YouTube music via my phone with a Bluetooth speaker and it also speaks directions from Google maps to guide my route as I’m still learning my way around.

4 Likes

Hello Thomas,

welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:

Best regards,

Chris

1 Like