Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

Strida vs. Brompton?

Any kind of Strida related conversations.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Winfried on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello,

I just saw a classified for an 18" EVO Strida, and was wondering what the distance is between 1) the handlebar and the seat and 2) the two wheel axles, as compared to a Brompton :

Image

Thank you.
Winfried
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello Winfried,

I mean it is hard to tell a certain dimension for the distance between steering and middle of the saddle - due to the unusual seat height adjustment of the Strida (seat molding sliding on seat tube) will this distance depend mostly on the leg length of the rider. The higher the seat, the shorter the distance - though the effect can be mildened by moving the seat a few cm's back and forth within the clamp of the molding.
Overall maybe ~ 40 to 55 cm.

The wheel base of Strida frames will be ~ 895 mm.

According to this page has Brompton before 2003 a wheel base of 1.02m (40.2"), since then 1045mm (41.2").

https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... heel-base-

Could you find info about the Brompton saddle - steering distance?
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
User avatar
Blackstridaaustria
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: 48.20938,16.370287

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Winfried on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Brompton :

Middle of seat - P handlebar ≈ 640mm
Wheel base ≈ 1040 mmm

So it look like the 18" EVO is shorter, whether in terms of seat - handlebar, or wheel base.
Winfried
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Winfried on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

At this point:

Pros
  • Belt drive
  • Disk drive
  • Folds a bit faster than Brompton
  • A bit lighter (how much compared to the 3 speeder?)
  • Edit: Easier to roll folded than stock Brompton, even with the EasyWheels
  • Edit: Low maintenance

Cons
  • EVO with 18" wheels as expensive as Brompton (3 speeds €1,300)
  • Unlike Brompton, no frame-based luggage block in the front
  • EVO : requires backpedaling to change gears, which is problematic in the city: Backpedaling at red light means changing gear :shock:
  • Gear inches way too small if you live in hilly area
  • Wheel base smaller than Brompton = unstable
  • Saddle - handlebar distance small, and can barely be changed
  • Saddle: Body tends to move forwards, with no way to change saddle tilt
  • Some/most saddles can't work on the Strida
  • Can't stand on the pedals
  • Couldn't figure out how to fold; Had to watch video
  • Like Dahon/Tern, magnet doesn't hold very well
  • Schwalbe stopped selling Marathon Plus 355 tires

Tentative conclusion: What's the point of getting a Strida?
Last edited by Winfried on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Winfried
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm

  • EVO with 18" wheels as expensive as Brompton (3 speeds €1,300)

    In fact not a disadvantage OF Strida – it must mean FOR Strida.
    Comparing prices of an European product to another one, made in Far East seems pretty unfair.


  • Unlike Brompton, no frame-based luggage block in the front

    As mentioned at bikeforums already – on a Strida there is no front frame part existent.
    Therefore it is technically impossible to mount such a part with identical function to Brompton.

  • EVO : requires backpedaling to change gears, which is problematic in the city: Backpedaling at red light means changing gear :shock:

    Trained riders are usually able to switch down/turn the crank in the required position before reaching a red light – that is called „anticipatory driving behaviour“.
    On an EVO – contrary to most other folding bicycles – there are no switching cables, levers, gripshifts or whatsoever required to shift. There is also no adjustment required.

  • Gear inches way too small if you live in hilly area

    If you live in a hilly area and you buy a three-speed bike...well...totally independent of brand you choosed the wrong bike – how can that be a con of this or that brand?

  • Wheel base smaller than Brompton = unstable

    It is total nonsense to claim that a wheel base shorter than Brompton is unstable.

  • Saddle - handlebar distance small, and can barely be changed

    Changing the steering bars is easy, not barely.

  • Saddle: Body tends to move forwards, with no way to change saddle tilt

    Correct, there is no chance to tilt the saddle.

  • Some/most saddles can't work on the Strida

    Correct.

  • Can't stand on the pedals

    You must not stand on the pedals – this is forbidden by the manufacturer explicitly!

  • Couldn't figure out how to fold; Had to watch video

    It is a disadvantage of Strida that YOU had to watch a video?
    Sure.


  • Like Dahon/Tern, magnet doesn't hold very well

    Unlike mentioned brands is the Strida magnet mechanism’s force even adjustable.

  • Schwalbe stopped selling Marathon Plus 355 tires

It is a disadvantage FOR Strida that Schwalbe stopped selling Marathon you wanted to write I guess?

So finally a few personal words:
At another thread one could get the impression that you simply need some help with your Strida – be assured that your’re welcome and in good hands in this case.
But on this thread I got the impression of a person who was forced to ride Strida; even more - your post reads like trolling. Be also assured that trolling will not be tolerated at this forum.
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
User avatar
Blackstridaaustria
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: 48.20938,16.370287

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Winfried on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 am

The point of this thread is to give user feedback to people who — like me — hesitate between the Strida and the Brompton. The reason I posted is not to denigrate the Strida, but because there isn't much feedback to be found on the Net.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Comparing prices of an European product to another one, made in Far East seems pretty unfair.


I disagree, because both bikes are sold here, so it's a legitimate issue.

The fact is that, over here, the EVO 16" is not much cheaper than the Brompton, altough the Strida in manufactured in Asia (Taiwan? China?) while the Brompton is manufactured in expensive London and brazed by hand, so you would expect the Strida to be significantly cheaper.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Therefore it is technically impossible to mount such a part with identical function to Brompton.


Yes, and it's a major drawback. Backpacks on a bike aren't fun.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Trained riders are usually able to switch down/turn the crank in the required position before reaching a red light – that is called „anticipatory driving behaviour“


Yes, and that's why I'm very happy with an IGH and will not go back to derailleurs for city bikes.

Being unable to backpedal at a stop without changing gears is especially annoying in the city, where riders have to stop/start often, and sometimes have to brake fast to avoid obstacles → stuck in the wrong gear. I'd much rather have a Nexus with a speed shifter… but it might not be possible due to the wiring involved (di2? :P )

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Gear inches way too small if you live in hilly area. totally independent of brand you choosed the wrong bike – how can that be a con of this or that brand?


The point is that even the EVO might not provide enough gear inches depending on where you live. OTHO, the Brompton offers up to six speeds if you need.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Wheel base smaller than Brompton = unstable. It is total nonsense to claim that a wheel base shorter than Brompton is unstable.


It's not what I read: Shorter wheel base = less stability.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Changing the steering bars is easy, not barely.


I was not talking about the handlebars, but the distance between the center of the handlebar (or stem, if you prefer) and the saddle: It's too short, and can't be changed.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:You must not stand on the pedals – this is forbidden by the manufacturer explicitly!


Yes, but in real life, streets have speed bumps or even potholes.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:It is a disadvantage of Strida that YOU had to watch a video?


It is because the Strida is said to be simpler to fold/unfold than a Brompton. I had to check Youtube to make sure I got it right, especially to unfold the wheels — once they're firmly attached, they can be hard to separate if you don't know how to.

Blackstridaaustria wrote:It is a disadvantage FOR Strida that Schwalbe stopped selling Marathon you wanted to write I guess?


Yes, it's a disadvantage that Marathon Plus are no longer available in that size. From experience, is the Innova as reliable?

Blackstridaaustria wrote:At another thread one could get the impression that you simply need some help with your Strida


Absolutely not: I'm very happy I found a second hand EVO 18", so I could give it a thorough try and compare it with the six-speed Brompton I've had for a few years now. I think I'll sell it back in the fall, but it's a good opportunity to test it seriously.

Honest criticism != trolling.

Feedback from another user:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php ... stcount=27
Winfried
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am

Re: Strida vs. Brompton?

Postby Winfried on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm

In the Pros section, I'll add that it's easier to roll folded than the Brompton, although you need to carry it as upright as possible since it's not that light either.

OTHO, the EasyWheels on the Brompton can be improved with the Bikefun X-Roller Easy Wheel Extender (£75, though), so we might have a draw here.

Image
Winfried
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 am


Return to General Strida Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests