Introduction and question

Good afternoon,

Quick introduction first of all:

Victarion, 34 years old (35 in few days, that’s why I am here :wink: ). I am living and working in Luxembourg in the financial sector. Not very original I noticed yes.

Since couples of months I am taking the train to go to my office and I discovered that I can pretty much cut my commute time by half comparing to the bus.

Basically instead of taking 50min-1h15 from my door to the office with the bus (with crowd, headaches due to diesel vibrations, the frequent stops and high correlation to bus driver skills…). But I can do 35-45min using the train and an additional commuting vehicle to cover the remaining 4km between home and train station (<2km) + from train station to work (<2km). In other words I have more time to see my wife and my two years boy.
I am currently using an old electric scooter like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+scooter+mach+1&client=opera&hs=a10&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS2c-0ufdAhVsK8AKHeT_DhQQ_AUIDigB&biw=2520&bih=1330#imgrc=oJxPUxMstkhLqM

That is very quick engine (30-35kmh max on flat road) and a lot of fun but it is very bulky and heavy (+/- 30kg so difficult to carry when hoping on the train) and it is not appropriate for winter as well as rainy spring/falls which tends to be frequent in this part of the world . Although we had a fantastic September month here.

I am sure that you see the question coming…
1 - I thought first of all of a simple bicycle. But I don’t want to mess up my pants with grease and dirt.
2 - Then I thought about a belt driven bicycle for cleanliness and single speed bike for simplicity (as my riding area include flat roads in good/very good condition only) and to keep the cost low. But since it has to be carried on I want it very light. And it seems that single speed are a big thing now so the combination of these three factors seems incompatible with my budget (±500€). I was unable to find second hand models that fit my criterias. In addition, it will prevent me to take the bus should the train won’t work: snow, ice, strike, who knows!
3 - Then I thought about folding bike but It is the same problem. Good quality, light and belt driven folding bike seem to be like unicorn. In addition the traditional H foldings mechanism doesn’t seems very practical to carry, fold/unfold quickly and in a clean way.
4 - And then come the Strida : Seems perfect for the train and even the bus due to lower foot print, easy to fold and unfold without messing around with dirty pedals and chains and I can find some model (second hand LT, Second hand SX and even second hand MAS special edition with 2 speeds) that fit my budget, and that I can carry easily/very easily… Last but not least I am in love with nice pieces of engineering, so here I am.

So my question is : let’s assume that you have a possibility to buy any of the three above models for the same price (of course if price are the same then the higher-end models are older but there are all in good functioning conditions) which is the one you would go for ?
I already know that :

• LT is the lightest/easiest to carry once folded and with plastic wheels seems to be even more maintenance free and seems rather average+/good quality.
  • SX will be the faster and more stable with 18 inches wheels during the rides.
  • MAS will be a mix bag (16’’ only but with 2 speeds) but a higher complexity (any quality issues about Schlumpf 2 speeds ?).

PS : I want to mention that I don’t plan to use the bike on heavy rain/icy/snowy conditions. I have acknowledge the issue related belt skip caused by dirt accumulation and the plastic free wheel wearing out problem.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Victarion.

Hello and Welcome.

Based on the comment “as my riding area include flat roads in good/very good condition only” (so no hills at all?) — I would vote for the SX with the 18" wheels – it makes a significant difference over the 16".

I am NOT familiar with the MAS but with 2 speeds if there are hills this could help. As you mentioned, there is more complexity and if it’s keep things simple on flats - SX should do it.

Of note is I live in Singapore - great weather and mostly flat terrain but the occasional hill or overhead bridge. The 3-speed EVO on low gears tackles inclines easily and zooms on 3rd top gear at approx 25 km/hr with easy peddling effort. I admit it will be harder to find a 2nd hand EVO if this comes into the consideration factor.

My rider’s report is here for the Strida EVO. [url]Photos of Stridas in Hong Kong]

Hello Victarion,

many thanks for the nice introduction and welcome at Strida forum :smiley:

There is no maintenance free folding available on this planet - that was bad marketing by Ming themselves if I remember correctly…however, nowadays they say:

That doesn’t really mean maintenance free…

Just two things make the LT series cheaper than the other Strida bikes - the plastic wheels and the plastic (bottom bracket) excenter. Main part of the price reduction are in fact the wheels…hmmm, well, let me say that is vindicated indeed.

http://www.ats-speeddrive.com/tpl/all_sd_tc.html
Caution please; original Strida MAS were never produced with original Schlumpf drives.
Ming cycle used drives from ATS, a Taiwanese company which has the license to reproduce the Schlumpf drives.
Both drives are just looking pretty similar - in fact you’ll notice that they are different once you start disassembling them. One could say the ATS is one of the first Schlumpf versions, contrary to ATS was the Schlumpf drive developed further over the years.
http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/antriebe/antriebe_engl.htm

I’m insisting on the difference because I’ve never heard of failing Schlumpf drives - but I did from ATS drives (even more than that - I’ve received a defective one and refurbished it myself.)

So, I’d go for an SX first and check if there is demand for a second gear.
Installing a new ATS kit (or maybe consider the three speed efneo drive?) can be done later and seems less risky than to buy a second hand ATS drive.

Kind regards,

Chris

Hello,

Many thanks for your prompt reply guys. I was not expecting this so fast.

Nope. From home to train station it is flat. From Train station to work, it is very hilly (Luxembourg is an old fortress) but there nice elevator with panoramic view & funiculaire to join the city center for free. And there are bike friendly.

EVO isn’t for me considering the price. I can’t afford a new LT so…

Yes you are right. My point was to say something like “something less to care about” meaning spokes tension. I have already read all your intervention where you had continuously pointed that there is no such thing as a maintenance free bike. In addition I would that there is no such thing as a maintenance free thing. My bad.

So both of you agree for the SX.
Well, I was not very tempted by this one because I’ve read several time here that the Strida was developed in 16’’ wheels in mind and they have adapted 18’’ later. So things can eventually not work not as intended. At the same time, potential issues with 18’’ wheels might be probably nothing to fix compared to issues that can arise from a worn ATS. SO both of you have very logic approach.

If anyone of you (or other readers) sell or know someone that is selling a SX in good condition around +/-500€, please do let me know.
Thanks and regards,
Victarion.

You don’t need to worry; everything works like intendend with 18" wheels :wink:

More likely you get in trouble if you want to use wider tyres than usual on 16" wheels.
Please jump over here to read why I’d prefer 18":
Re: EVO or SX for general aviation pilot

I believe it is better to “waste” time during learning new things (just for example the tightening of one or another loose spoke*) than to waste time and force each time riding (by deforming flexible plastic wheels).
*All you need is a spoke wrench, a small piece of wood (cooking spoon, piece of branch) and your ears :mrgreen:

Hi Blackstridaaustria,

Yes you are probably right. Better to properly maintained something that can last, rather than being obliged to buy complete new wheel. Like a car at the end.

I am weighting only 65kg for 1.73m so I thought he would be OK to have the lighter version (LT vs SX). But at the same time, I am in pretty good shape so I think the “engine” will be a bit frustrated with the lower gearing (due to 16’’ wheels).
And probably, aside from the “fixable” aspect it would be noticeably nicer to ride and without too much compromises on the ease of maneuverability once folded.
Finally, As I cross at least 4 pairs of tramway rails per day, I will probably be obliged to step down with a LT if I don’t to fall/break the wheel.

What is difficult is that I have also the choice, for the same price (<600€) to have a brand new Strida+ (LT + leather springed seat + leather handle) in pistachio (don’t care too much about color).

Choices, choices…

Approx 600 Euro (an extra 100 Euro over your budget) gets you a NEW Strida SX here in Singapore - that comes with warranty and all. I am not sure what the prices are like in your region.

Link to the local LBS here that sells Stridas. (where I purchased my 2 Strida EVOs): https://hellobicycle.com.sg/collections/strida-sx

Sorry not helping here… :neutral_face:

(but they do ship international!). Bill Wilby - Strida Canada may want to chip in too.

Hello, I have already checked with Hello Bicycle.
Price is attractive yes. But add an extra 500USD for delivery + customs for Europe, delivery is fast (6 days) but expensive.
Thanks for the advice regarding to Canada I’ll check.

Follow up.

I have also the possibility to get :
An SX 2 years old at 560EUR
and SX champagne that have been used for few test tours for 670EUR.

Choices, choices…

I though the local prices here in Singapore (maybe we close to Taiwan?) was cheaper based on the discussions but I did NOT expect the hefty price for 500USD for shipping + customs. That’s insane.

With prices like that - you might as well come to Singapore on a budget holiday, buy the bike then Ride it a bit so it’s not considered new … :sunglasses: and carry it back in a travel or golf bag! (check in lugguage!). :smiley:

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I went for the SX in Champagne for routhly 650€. This is a bike used for few demo tours in Denmark. This one:
https://www.strida.dk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/17-06-06-STRiDA-shoot-DSC_9099.jpg

Soren, was kind and very patient. He has a lot of second hand models (they are not all displayed in the second hand page of strida.dk so you might want to get in touch with him by email).

Of course you need to add 50€ for shipping here.

Thanks a lot to everybody for your advices. I will do some follow up to keep you posted.

Regards,
Victarion.

Very nice bike indeed - I like the look very much

Three things I’ve noticed at the image:

• The elder seat molding is not at all a disadvantage - except you answer “Yes” to the following question:
    Do you plan to share your bike with other persons regularly?

• The bike has no kickstand.
    (I mean that’s a matter of flavour only, but it has to be mentioned.)

• This Strida is not street legal in Austria.
    The wheel reflectors have to be white, moreover that - as there is a reflecting area of at least 20 cm² per wheel required - there should be two instead of one.

Many thanks. I like the look a lot.
I don’t plan to share it. For sure my wife will want to try it when I will receive it but that’s about it.
Yes I have noticed that there is no kickstand. At first I wanted to add it but I can do it myself later if needed.
For the reflectors, I don’t even know if there is legal framework here in Luxembourg about that.

Sure; more important than a law is the way how it is handled by the local authorities :laughing:
If you don’t even know I’d conclude that your local police doesn’t take that much care about these things. I’m living in a big city and I do know that our cops here can be nasty if they want to.
So we try generally not to give them any chance to attack a biker.
“No Sir, my bike DOES comply 100% to “Österreichische Fahrradverordnung” - but well, I’m referring to the version from 07.10.2018 - which one are you referring to if I may ask?”
That’s a good start to argue with them :smiling_imp:

Well here, situation is different. For the moment at least.
Like a friend used to say :“they’ve switched directly from the tractor to the BMW”.
Bicycles never have been a point of attention here. Not that there is no bicycle lanes. They’ve covered the whole country with bicycle lanes and when not available the roads are always in smooth/very smooth conditions.

But people are fed up about traffic jam. Really fed up. That’s insane. Not very surprising given the amount of person (and I am polite) that takes the last Audi & BMW leased by their companies to cover <5km. And the worst is that they are f@@@@@g alone in their vehicles !!! So people are really fed up because even the buses are stucked in the traffic. The consequence is that you see more and more people riding to work. Skaters, electric skateboards, bicycle, electric bicycle, solowheels… It is everywhere. Politicians do they best to push people to go for public transport and “soft mobility”. They made a tramway, built a funiculaire, elevators, autonomous mini-buses. It is ineviatble. They will have to regulate. Not even talking about the real estate that is sky-rocketting and pushing people to the surroundings. Regulation and strict framework will come here very soon.
In the meantime I can still enjoy passing by riders with my electric scooters and riding it a freeking snowboard until I can’t (I remove the seat so I ride in standing position). Not convenient to hop in the train but what a joy when I hit the road.

Anyway, we are off topic. My strida will be shipped tomorrow. That’s the most important no ? :laughing:

Hi,

I’ve intensively read many thread and posts regarding the proper maintenance of the bike. I have noticed several important things and I wanted some advice regarding the basics to get :

Regards,
Victarion.

Hi Victarion - I am excited for you on the Strida purchase. Of all the bikes I own this is one unique bike for me.

Correct.
For me when I purchased my Strida EVO’s I got the frame clip with it. I was silly and didn’t know what it was and threw it away as the local Strida distributor “crosses” their Stridas as well! I would NOT be surprised if you get the frame clip with your Strida so wait and see. If you do not - just buy one. Alternatively like me, who threw it away and then bought a new one - only to MIS-place it… what I do not is fold it and simple NOT criss-cross the frames to an X-shape. I leave mine loosely folded on the Strida bicycle stand.

Just use the current one till it is worn out or you are having issues. A free wheel when new should have really high tall distinct teeth. When worn it gets smooth on the edges and the size of the teeth reduces (from the wear). I actually purchased extra freewheels - 2 x plastics and 3 x metal. Honestly I think this free-wheel is over-hyped. I ran my original free-wheel for atleast 5,000km before it had any signs of wear. (metal one!), I am now approaching 14,000km and I am still on 2nd free wheel.

Just to compare my Strida EVO to my 8-speed chain bike. I wore out the 8-speed chainwheel in 3.5 months and had to replace it. My Strida EVO has been with me for almost 2 years with one free wheel replacement.

Like all bikes, you should carry either a bicycle tube patch kit (to patch punctures on the roadside, or carry 2 tubes (ideally) and a small hand pump. The beauty of the Strida is you wont need to take the wheel off to repair a puncture - and if you do it’s so easy as it’s only attached to one side of the fork of the bike (not 2 sides like regular bikes). If you new to bikes, you should learn how to repair punctures in the event you are far away from a local bike shop.

Check out this guy on youtube and his 16" Strida - he changes his tube with bare hands :smiley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8rr4OI9hg

There are ONLY two 18" tyres you can choose from:
Kojak: stridacanada.ca/product/schwalbe-kojak-tires/
Innova: stridacanada.ca/product/strida- … inch-tire/

The Kojaks are the high pressure slicks (110PSI if I recall - need to check my bike). They cost 2x the price of the Innova and has a better ride IMO. As it’s a slick tyre (no treads) - take care when riding in the wet. The Innova is better for wet weather, is fatter and softer (at 85 PSI)

You need a HEX key set to take the wheels off, etc (not that you need to!). But off memory this comes with a Strida hidden under the seat.
stridacanada.ca/product/strida-allan-key/

I never adjusted my spokes. They just sit there on my wheels…

Get use to the ride - it can be twitchy at first but you get used it quite fast. I honestly believe it’s one of the LOWEST maintenance bikes there is since I own 5 bikes. Because it has no chain - there is no chain cleaning and lubing, no deraileur cleaning, no cassette cleaning, if you ride in the wet I wipe it down in < 2 mins ready to store / fold. I not had ANY flats using both the Kojaks or Innova’s in the 14,000km but that comes down to the road etc and luck sometimes! (I have had flats on my other bikes - so could be luck). I ride up to 70KM in one cycle outing … NO PROBLEMS. It’s the MOST comfortable bike to ride compared to my road bikes etc… because it’s up-right “Dutch seating” and the Kelvar belt makes it effortless. Disclaimer - the one speed may see you top out on a max speed and spin. I have the Strida EVO (3 gears) and it keeps me going to some degree. But however as you have the SX which is single speed - it’s even LESS maintenance or items going wrong because you do not have the KS3 gear box. :smiley:

If I owned an Strida SX… I would see myself atleast 5 years of good ownership (I owned my forst Strida EVO now for almost 2 years and I ride the crap out of it!) with minimum maintenance except wear and tear items such as :

• free wheel replacement (hard to say - probably 4000-7000km mark??
  • tyres (they last for ages as you wont be skidding on those tyres and burning the rubber compound :laughing:
  • tubes if you get punctures…
  • adjust handbrakes every now and then… and replace brake pads once in a blue moon.
  • not sure what “type of bike” owner you may be… what I mean by this is I tend to wipe my bike down every ride (1-2 min job) of mud etc as I keep the bike indoors. I seen other owners ride in muck, wheels caked in mud etc and they NEVER clean. You may want to simply wipe down and keep the “Free wheel” clean of muck and dirt. Pebbles etc will wear out the free wheel. I am not saying hose it and clean it - just make sure there is no caked mud, pebbles etc… for me I rarely even wipe that as the flanges of the free wheel prevent most of the gunk even getting in. But I do read strange stories of free wheels wearing out in < 2000 km on this forum which is beyond me…

On the part of maintenance…if you took this Strida SX to the bike shop for the full service THEY ONLY will:

• tighten nuts/bolts, lube a few points to look busy(?)
  • check tension of kelvar belt (this lasts for ages !)
  • check brakes - replace as needed or adjust
    I think that is it. There is no gear shifting, derailment or chain adjustments etc. It’s a very simple bike.

THAT IS IT! It’s the lowest maintenance bike I own.

Hi Victarion,

yes, a frame clip is actually a good idea.
Just I think it is more the rear hinge which benefits and less the belt.
In fact is the rear hinge the Achilles heel of your Strida - and sometimes even the real cause of belt issues.

On the SX shown above there is already an aluminium freewheel mounted.
The signs of wear on the freewheels teeth can be seen easily - is there still a narrow rectangle visible on top of each tooth or is it just a line, moreover that one can see a more or less pronounced corner at one tooth side.
The signs, without using a sharp eye, are:

1. Belt gets loose
  2. Jumping, Skipping
  3. Twisting (often combined with rear hinge play)
  4. Torn

Tubes/tyres:
You may have noticed already that this is an enourmous advantage on your Strida; compared to most of the other folding bike brands - nothing more easy than to change tubes or tyres :laughing:
Sure, as long as it is not a burden for you I’d recommend a spare tube anyway.
I had the feeling in the past that Schwalbe tubes combined with Sclaverand valves are the best choice if you don’t want to pump air each few days.
Yes right, there are just the original Innova tyres, Schwalbe Kojak and another slick, the Strozzapreti of Joseph Kuosac.
Tubes are btw interchangeable between Innova and Kojak - but not Strozzapreti.
Counterquestion:
Do you want to ride in rain or on sand or cobblestones?

For the spokes you need a spoke wrench of your choize in size 3,2 mm plus a piece of wood (that can be a stolen old cook spoon of Mom or even a piece of branch) - and your ears :wink:
Just knock on each spoke after another (separate; for example first the inner and then the outer).
Do you hear a clear tone (ignore the tone height)?
Yes → That spoke should be Ok.
Do you hear a dull noise?
Yes - > That one is loose.

By today I’ve got perhaps 8 or 10 original wheels in hands - usually there are between 1 and 3 spokes per wheel loose. But I think that’s better the newer the wheels are - maybe you find not a single one loose :smiley:

Cheers,

Chris

Chris…

Ah the 3rd tyre – the Strozzapreti of Joseph Kuosac… I never seen this in Singapore. Let me re-read your post of that and the Efeno drive! :smiley:

That tyre must be relatively new and it’s from Japan…guess that you could order it directly?
(And buy it much cheaper than we here in Europe.)

@Victarion:
Yes, sorry, again OT, shame on me :blush: