Strida Evo rider report - London, UK

I only noticed this when I changed shoes to a thin sole and I could feel a slight roughness in the sensation through the peddles in the low and high gear but after a +100kms it has become smootherā€¦but you have to search for it as it is very slightā€¦So those thinking of purchasing an Evo should not be put off by this at all.

Thanks again, hopefully kepsā€™ drive will also work correct after a whileā€¦keep fingers crossed!

Most gear hubs need time to run in. What you are experiencing is likely normal. Thanks for the detailed report!

Hi

could you please advise me where did you buy your Schwalbe Kojak tyres for the strida?
are they the same surface as a roadbike type of tyres? I am new to strida, I goet my evo last month.

what type of saddle did you change to?

they sound like good improvements could you share the information?

Thanks

Hi blue,

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/3530

http://www.schwalbetires.com/dealers?id=139

If the weight is correct it should mean ā€œBrooks Flyer S Specialā€,
according to the Brooks-site the ā€œFlyer Specialā€ is more heavy - 890 g.

Brooksengland/Flyer S Special

Brooksengland/Flyer Special

Brooks dealer locator USA

stridaforum/more comfy saddle

stridaforum/Brooks flyer

stridaforum/Replacing your seat?

Kind regards,

BSA

Hi StridaEvo-London,

I just want to ask if what to expect in the package when you buy your EVO, i do know that it will be different per distributor, but atleast i know what to look for. :slight_smile:

I want one as well, but i would like to know if the gear box for the transmition contains any plastic materials or is it pure steel or alloy like material instead? :slight_smile:

Does the freewheel, chain and crank set are all alloy? :slight_smile:

Maybe I dont tried my best to search the web for the answer to my questions, but any response would be appreciated.

Iā€™m new on this STRIDA world. :wink:

Well I donā€™t think the differences will be that great, stock standard model is 18inch wheels, alloy freewheel, crank set is not alloy.
My mods seat and kojak tyres are additional and down to personal preference.
As for the transmission I cannot say how what materials it contains.

Just a quick note that Iā€™m also part of the London Strida Evo riders - matte black.

Thanks so much for your response StridaEvo-London. :slight_smile: Hoping i can join the EVO bandwagon soon. :slight_smile:

Hello ulrico,

ā€¦and thanks for registering! :wink:

Hi ulrico,

Howā€™s your EVO riding? :slight_smile:

Good review thanks for posting :smiley:

I got my Strida Evo a few days ago, Australian version black with neon yellow down tube, as a late xmas present to self to scrape in on bikes for 2012, moratorium on n+1 new bikes for 2013 is one of my new yearā€™s resolutions =P

Like OPā€™s report, my first test up hills of local street a few times I didnā€™t notice difference through 1,2,3 but wasnā€™t looking for it, just a feel for the ratios and speed. I definitely donā€™t regret paying the weight penalty for the gears.

Here it is in a badly stitched panoramic photo of my ā€˜little wheel crowdā€™

Like most first ride impressions coming from regular bikes, short wheelbase twitchy steering, I feel the desire for some short bull horn bar ends for some finer control, being used to much wider bars on other bkes. I really like the sequential gears, sister rigid ā€œleftyā€ to my hooligan, ā€œrightyā€ rear, use of bearings instead of bushes, really everything about it (honeymoon phase).

Ours already comes with 1.35in Kojaks on it, bonus for the month was a bike bag included, no immediate need for me but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll find a use for it in the future.

For twitchy steering, Although Iā€™m already used to the steering, when I placed a bag on the front somehow the weight of the bag helps stabilize or dampens the twitchy steering.

Iā€™m thinking of wrapping leg weights on the front tube or the handlebar stem as a damper.

But then again youā€™ll get used to the Strida the more you ride it.

I have just purchased an Evo whilst in Sydney (Oz). 18" wheels made this little beastie fly, but as these are not readily obtainable in NZ, have swapped out the wheels for the resin/aluminium ones.
I have now done a couple of return trips to work. My commute is about 8km, so not very long. The justification for the strida for me was the upright riding position, which I find more comfy than my Speciailized Expedition semi-cruiser(which has just appeared on trade me as a result). I would not have considered the Strida but for purchasing a 3.3 earlier this year, and loving it. The Evo is quite an evolution. When I place them side-by-side, the extra gusset reinforcing the steering head is the first obvious difference, then the beefed up seating mount, and of course the freewheel/gears. The Evo seems a little sudden in the braking after the drums, but I am getting to prefer it over the drums now, after only a few days. I have the bent bars, which is a real improvement for my legroom. So far, quite intoxicated with this brushed aluminium machine!

Thanks VERY much to the OP for supurb report and later reports.
great forum

This is a very good review and summary of the Strida EVO. I agree with many of the observations here - now at start of 2018! (I purchased my EVO in Q1 2017) and only saw this nowā€¦

Thanks for the tip on tyres - I will plan to swap mine out to Schwalbe Kojak and drop the Innova stock tyres.

As the Schwalbe Kojaks are so far also my personal favourites Iā€™d like to add a few hints here:

• Please keep in mind that Kojakā€™s can be dangerous on wet or sandy road surfaces.

• Kojakā€™s are not that puncture resistant, if possible add a spare tube to your bike-bag.

• High pressure tyres work best at their upper pressure limit (at least I think so); that means the ride is really hard but the rolling resistance very low.

• Kojakā€™s are a bit smaller than the Innovaā€™s; therefore is the gear ratio lower and it is easier to pedal - but in fact you are riding slower (at the same cadence) than with Innovaā€™s.

• Donā€™t really drop the Innovaā€™s - better you keep them for the bad weather months.
    And nothing is more easy than swapping tyres on a Strida - compared to most other other bikes :wink:

• Even lighter than Kojakā€™s should be Panaracer Minits Lite PT; they are very rare in Europe and most likely in Asia easier to find
    (The search terms ā€œBirdyā€ or ā€œBD-1ā€ are perhaps helpful.)

ikd21.co.jp/ikd/items/i536.html

Hi Chris - thanks for your tips on the Schwalbe Kojak.

I ordered them and they should be in within the next week. Keen to fit them on and will update the forum. :smiley:

During that, if done correct, you will notice that these tyres are so soft that you should be able to put them on just by using your hands - without tyre levers :sunglasses: