tire replacement?

Hello,

I bought Strida 5 about a month ago, but after ten days of
enjoyable ride, the rear tire was punctured. :frowning:
(I believe that it was my mistake, not a defect on the tire.)

Anyway, so I’m looking for a replacement tire. Can I use 40-305,
100 psi tire? I know that the normal air pressure is about 65 psi.
What happens if I inflate the tire only up to that? (Sorry that I’m
so ignorant about bicycle maintenance.)

I thought Strida5 has standard metal rims so it should be good for 100psi with a 100psi tyre eg 40-305 Kwest … (but may be a hard ride). Unlike the plastic wheel I have, the 5 uses absolutely standard bike rims and an tyres. So you should be able to either fix the inner tube with a patch or replace it … I’d also check a few things …

1. Has the tyre still got a thorn (even tinny) stick in it … as this will keep puncturing new inner tubes ? (tate tyre off and carefully feelthe whole inner surface for sharp points/ edges.
  2. Check that the tape on the in side of the metal rim is properly in pace (ie centrally on the rim) so that it covers up all the nipples … on end of spokes. Unlike human ones, these nipple can be very sharp :slight_smile: … and if they make contaqct with inner tube they can puncture it.
  3. If nec. check all nipples for spikes and even use a 2nd band of rim tape over the original.
  4. Check the rim itself for any sharp edges facing towards the inner tube.

the nice thing about the Strida is as it doesn’t have forks check , swopping and replacing tyres and ntubes is very easy … the wheels stay in place.

Thanks for the kind answers! I’ll definitely check them.

By the way, what happens if I inflate a 100 psi tire only up to 65 psi?
Would I have a gentler ride then? Or it doesn’t work that way?
Or, in other direction, can I use a tire with less pressure, like 40 psi?
(Again, sorry for this huge ignorance of mine.)

60psi would be OK, as would 40, but I personally wouldn’t go less… to avoid pinching the tyre and a nasty squiry feeling on bends :smiley:

Pneumatic tyres are effectively adjustable air shocks (like the ones mountain biker pay 100’s for :slight_smile: ) … you can adjust for a better ride with lower pressure or lower rolling resistance with higher pressure.

I just replaced my tires on a Strida MAS 16"
I bought Kenda Kwest 16x1.50 (40-305) that fits perfectly. I bought them on Aliexpress

I do this post because I bought a pair of 16 inches 1.5 tires on Amazon but those were bigger that the original tires and did not fit the rim. So I have to return them to the seller.

The Strida tires are not 16 inches, they are actually 15"! The 16 is a reference number, the tire company do not actually said they are measured on inches, just 16x1.50.
I hope someone find this useful!

1 Like

Hello Pedro,

welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:

You’re pointing out a mistake which happens very often, I made this mistake myself too back then.

If you say that the real outer diameter of a Strida 16" wheel is in fact approximately just 15" (38 cm) you’re totally right.

To get the correct tyre for our 16" wheels, it is mandatory to refer to the ETRTO sizes.
Important for us is the bead seat diameter in mm, this is for our 16" Strida rims 305 mm.
Most likely you bought accidentally Brompton tyres, these are also specified as 16 x 1,5 (inch) but their bead seat diameter is 349 mm - that means 44 mm bigger (ETRTO 40 - 349).
The 16 x 1,5 (inch) specification is just not enough to identify a matching tyre - the ISO/ETRTO specs have to be watched, too.

Cheers,

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Chris,

The webpage you shared about ETRTO sizes is very interesting, I would not imagine so much measures and complexity for bicycle tires.
Yes, I agree the ISO/ETRTO is the key but I think it is not widely used. No matter, I will keep it in mind.

Cheers!

1 Like