Cannot fully seat bottom tube on lock pin(part 216)

Hi,

after I had an accident with my Strida, where is slipped and fell during taking a turn, I ran into this problem:
First the bottom tube could not be removed easily from the seating pin. I had to use a soft hammer in order to be able to release it.
So I inspected the position of tube and pin and it seems they need to be realigned to allow for the pin to be fully seated in the tube hole. See attached picture. Do you you agree with my diagnosis?
How to best realign the pin?
My idea is to heat up both black bolts (part274) to 150 degree Celsius in order to loosen the TL70 and remove them. After I have cleaned both bolts and reapplied fresh threadlocker, I will lock the pin in the bottom tube for correct alignment and tighten it with 34Nm.

Regards,
Christian

Here is the pic:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3mG3E21u9bs9aWcKA

Hi Christian,

hopefully you were not hurt :neutral_face:

I do agree with your diagnosis, but not with the details which you collected from the Strida manual!

I’m sure there’s no heating required.
Also I’m sure that Ming cycle never used threadlocker of high strength (which TL-70 has) - for our bikes is middle strength (BLUE Loctite 243 for example) fully sufficient.

I would not do that.
The older manual version ((Strida manual-0617 revised) said 20 - 25 Nm for this bolts.
Look, we have here (most likely) a M8 bolt with strength class 8.8 or worse.
Standard torques for this bolts are usually ~ 25 Nm - just check with any torque listing.

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your fast reply. This forum is truly amazing!!
Unfortunately it was quite a bad fall and I broke my collar bone. The Strida seemed to be fine at first until I noticed that I could not fold it anymore…

However I am very thankful for your corrections regarding my repair method. I really tried hard to open the bolt without heating, even hammered on the hexagon key to get it moving. Still I could not get it loose. So that’s why I thought I need to heat it up a bit. My Strida is also quite old… see linked pics below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3mG3E21u9bs9aWcKA

I will try again to loosen it and post my results here…

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

thank you :smiley:

Omg, get well soon :open_mouth:

Oh I see, you tried already…still, I do not think that they used high strength threadlocker ten years ago…perhaps the bolts are seized. In worst case you’re forced to drill out both bolts completely - I’d recommend to search for professional assistance in that case.
Parts should be easily available, in which country do you live, if I may ask?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

jetzt hab ich mich mal im Forum angemeldet.
Ich bin in Japan, aber inzwischen konnte ich das Problem beheben.
I just heated the bolts a little (~50 degreesC) with a hairdryer and used a longer wrench for better leverage. That did the trick and I could easily adjust the pin. I did not take out the bolts. Just retighten them.

Btw, my collar bone is fine again. The accident happened already 3 months ago…

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

einen Deutsch/Englisch sprechenden Namensvetter mit einem Strida in Japan trifft man auch eher selten - Servus!

I’m happy that you’re already healed and finally solved the issue :wink:
Btw, your freewheel doesn’t really match to the claimed age of the bike - did you replace it meanwhile or do you ride less (respectively not in bad weather)?

Cheers,

Chris