E Strida - the genuine electric one by Ming

Ming Cycles have been dabbling with electric for quite some time People always ask us when are we getting E Stride yet ming has not come up with a final solution. WT

Big bummer that an e-Strida remains unavailable.

I’ve been using my human powers Stridas for years now. Perfect for my commute and business downtown. But age and a tricky hamstring are catching up to me. I’ve been hoping that there would be a response to the e-Bromptons out there.

About three weeks ago - early September 2019 - in Germany at the booth of Ming cyle…

Me: “Hi dear Lady - do you have the electric Strida ready this year?”

Ming girlie: “Yes, ready, you can see at our webpage!”

• and presents a card with a QR code - “just scan with your phone.”
    My son does - we see their page, but no electric Strida!

:question: :question: :question:

Ming girlie: “Minute please…” and disappears…
…returns seconds later and says:
“Sorry, the electric one is NOT ready, pardon me.”

“Ok; thanks and bye.”

:unamused:

On a different e-bike project I noticed the following at Grin Technologies …

ebikes.ca/product-info/all- … l#features

… which supports disk brakes and single sided applications.

The flange diameter is 214 mm which is a tight fit for a lot of ERTO 305 rims. Perhaps it would be worth converting to the ERTO 349/355 just to get a little more space.

Here’s another one; asked them a while ago for more images but they didn’t have any.

https://onemotor.co/custom-mount-strida/

I saw the one motor solution. Generally looks reasonable and I recall someone on the Bike Friday forum happy with the results.

As for its application to the Strida, I get the sense that it’s sensitive to tire size. The bend in the horizontal bar limits where the motor can be mounted. Consequently, one motor has a different mount if you have a 16" or 18" wheel.

Surely you’re right with the tyre size.
Would have been better to create an adjustable solution because several Strida users switch tyre sizes for personal reasons.

Generally I’d appreciate a change to 349er rims for 18" Strida wheels.
I do know that the correct specification for this 349er wheel size is actually 16" according to ETRTO.
But in fact there is just 6 mm difference at the inner circumference of the tyre compared to 18" 355er size.

Naturally, I noticed this because I have Kenda Kwests on my Strida which is noticeably “shorter” than the stock tires.

A big plus to 349 is that the nicest “performance” sub 20" tire is the Greenspeed Scorcher. Roughly 40 mm wide and ERTO 349. YMMV.

Had the Scorcher on my blue Strida for a short time - really great tyre.
But unfortunately it doesn’t really match to the choosed rims and I had a very hard time to get the Scorchers off the rims (when I wanted to check Schwalbe Marathons 16 x 1,35 ETRTO 35 - 349).

Since I’m already talking with Grin …

They are aware of the STRIDA and that their single sided hub could be applicable. He mentioned making it narrower. Anyway, if you made it to this thread and are looking for an e-bike STRIDA, I would drop them a line to see if they have something workable.

don’t forget about me, I am a days drive away from Vancouver and may be able to help. And I will be in Vancouver next month with several Strida bikes!

Cheers, Bill

I actually thought about Strida West. (I bought a replacement freewheel a while back). I’ve been talking with Ben at Grin and he suggests that they might have something workable in 355 this winter. Seems that you might want to drop them a line.

… or are you suggesting that Strida West might sell Strida e-bike kids? That would be sweet.

Yes Mark if there was a Strida E-bike I would want to be selling it, if it was well designed and enhanced the Strida experience. The lack of a Strida E-bike is one of the reasons that I have imported a Vello + from Vienna. If Grin are able to produce a similar drive wheel as the ZEHUS that would fit a Strida then it would be a very fine E-Bike.
vellobike.com/product-page/ … hain-drive

Bill

Hi Everyone,

It’s Grace from OneMotor. Just wanted to let you know that we finished development and testing of our new Strida mount for OneMotor. Here’s a link to pics and a vid clip:

onemotor.co/custom-mount-strida/

This mount will fit any wheel size Strida (the 16" or the 18" or even anything in between), is installed to the Strida frame using only two clamp straps, and is made from ultra-strong Nylon that won’t scratch the frame.

Once the mount is attached, then the OneMotor can be installed or removed in under 10 seconds, so you can easily use a single OneMotor on multiple Stridas or multiple bikes interchangeably (and even multiple scooters) . Most importantly, the OneMotor can remain installed on the Strida without interfering with the fold in any way.

Note that both OneMotor battery pack sizes (the Compact and the Extended) will fit in the seat tube location shown between the seat and the rack for a nice, clean install that still allows you to use the rack for carrying things.

We hope you like this solution! Please feel free to post any questions here or directly via email to:
info@onemotor.co

Thanks!
Grace

The additional pictures and video are useful. Thanks.

Hi Grace

I am from Taiwan
May I ask if this can be compatible with Strida mini ? (STRIDA 4.1)

Sam

Hi Sam,

I only find a few links when I search for 'Strida Mini 4.1". And it looks substantially the same as the regular Strida.
Is there any difference to the frame tubing or wheels or pedal / crank / belt layout? As long as that’s all the same, then our mount should fit it.
If you can direct me to some specific links or photos to confirm, please do so and I’ll take a look!
Thanks!

Grace

Hi Grace,

hope you’re fine :smiley:

Sam posted here a list of the special Mini features:
[url]New owner from Taiwan (EVO) (with large pictures)]

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Hope you’re well too!
Thanks for posting the link.
Based on that list, the two items below are the relevant ones in determining if the OneMotor Strida mount fits as-is:

1. Frame is different . Not just the size but also the weldings.
    Here the important thing is that the ‘s-curve’ that is above the rear wheel is the same shape, as the OneMotor mount clamps onto this, and the mount is designed to EXACTLY fit that curve (we 3D-scanned it with a high-end scanner)
  2. Wheel size is different(14 vs 16 or 18).
    Here the 14" wheel size would mean that the sliding adjustability of the OneMotor mount would need to be able to slide far enough ‘downwards’ to reach the 14-in tire. Unless of course the frame of the mini positions the wheel closer to the ‘s-curve’ where the OneMotor mount sits, which seems more likely if they have a separate frame design for this bike…

So my hunch is that there’s a good chance it’ll fit, with the shape of the S-curve being the most important factor to check!

I hope that helps!
-Grace