Introduction and question

Hi Victarion - I am excited for you on the Strida purchase. Of all the bikes I own this is one unique bike for me.

Correct.
For me when I purchased my Strida EVO’s I got the frame clip with it. I was silly and didn’t know what it was and threw it away as the local Strida distributor “crosses” their Stridas as well! I would NOT be surprised if you get the frame clip with your Strida so wait and see. If you do not - just buy one. Alternatively like me, who threw it away and then bought a new one - only to MIS-place it… what I do not is fold it and simple NOT criss-cross the frames to an X-shape. I leave mine loosely folded on the Strida bicycle stand.

Just use the current one till it is worn out or you are having issues. A free wheel when new should have really high tall distinct teeth. When worn it gets smooth on the edges and the size of the teeth reduces (from the wear). I actually purchased extra freewheels - 2 x plastics and 3 x metal. Honestly I think this free-wheel is over-hyped. I ran my original free-wheel for atleast 5,000km before it had any signs of wear. (metal one!), I am now approaching 14,000km and I am still on 2nd free wheel.

Just to compare my Strida EVO to my 8-speed chain bike. I wore out the 8-speed chainwheel in 3.5 months and had to replace it. My Strida EVO has been with me for almost 2 years with one free wheel replacement.

Like all bikes, you should carry either a bicycle tube patch kit (to patch punctures on the roadside, or carry 2 tubes (ideally) and a small hand pump. The beauty of the Strida is you wont need to take the wheel off to repair a puncture - and if you do it’s so easy as it’s only attached to one side of the fork of the bike (not 2 sides like regular bikes). If you new to bikes, you should learn how to repair punctures in the event you are far away from a local bike shop.

Check out this guy on youtube and his 16" Strida - he changes his tube with bare hands :smiley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8rr4OI9hg

There are ONLY two 18" tyres you can choose from:
Kojak: stridacanada.ca/product/schwalbe-kojak-tires/
Innova: stridacanada.ca/product/strida- … inch-tire/

The Kojaks are the high pressure slicks (110PSI if I recall - need to check my bike). They cost 2x the price of the Innova and has a better ride IMO. As it’s a slick tyre (no treads) - take care when riding in the wet. The Innova is better for wet weather, is fatter and softer (at 85 PSI)

You need a HEX key set to take the wheels off, etc (not that you need to!). But off memory this comes with a Strida hidden under the seat.
stridacanada.ca/product/strida-allan-key/

I never adjusted my spokes. They just sit there on my wheels…

Get use to the ride - it can be twitchy at first but you get used it quite fast. I honestly believe it’s one of the LOWEST maintenance bikes there is since I own 5 bikes. Because it has no chain - there is no chain cleaning and lubing, no deraileur cleaning, no cassette cleaning, if you ride in the wet I wipe it down in < 2 mins ready to store / fold. I not had ANY flats using both the Kojaks or Innova’s in the 14,000km but that comes down to the road etc and luck sometimes! (I have had flats on my other bikes - so could be luck). I ride up to 70KM in one cycle outing … NO PROBLEMS. It’s the MOST comfortable bike to ride compared to my road bikes etc… because it’s up-right “Dutch seating” and the Kelvar belt makes it effortless. Disclaimer - the one speed may see you top out on a max speed and spin. I have the Strida EVO (3 gears) and it keeps me going to some degree. But however as you have the SX which is single speed - it’s even LESS maintenance or items going wrong because you do not have the KS3 gear box. :smiley:

If I owned an Strida SX… I would see myself atleast 5 years of good ownership (I owned my forst Strida EVO now for almost 2 years and I ride the crap out of it!) with minimum maintenance except wear and tear items such as :

• free wheel replacement (hard to say - probably 4000-7000km mark??
  • tyres (they last for ages as you wont be skidding on those tyres and burning the rubber compound :laughing:
  • tubes if you get punctures…
  • adjust handbrakes every now and then… and replace brake pads once in a blue moon.
  • not sure what “type of bike” owner you may be… what I mean by this is I tend to wipe my bike down every ride (1-2 min job) of mud etc as I keep the bike indoors. I seen other owners ride in muck, wheels caked in mud etc and they NEVER clean. You may want to simply wipe down and keep the “Free wheel” clean of muck and dirt. Pebbles etc will wear out the free wheel. I am not saying hose it and clean it - just make sure there is no caked mud, pebbles etc… for me I rarely even wipe that as the flanges of the free wheel prevent most of the gunk even getting in. But I do read strange stories of free wheels wearing out in < 2000 km on this forum which is beyond me…

On the part of maintenance…if you took this Strida SX to the bike shop for the full service THEY ONLY will:

• tighten nuts/bolts, lube a few points to look busy(?)
  • check tension of kelvar belt (this lasts for ages !)
  • check brakes - replace as needed or adjust
    I think that is it. There is no gear shifting, derailment or chain adjustments etc. It’s a very simple bike.

THAT IS IT! It’s the lowest maintenance bike I own.