Strida Evo vs. Brompton?

I am probably 4 years late to reply to this thread… but anyway wanted to share on this topic.

I honestly believe that the Strida EVO is faster than the Brompton 3 speed. Not too sure of the 6-speed though. I have owned my Strida EVO for a year now and Bromptons are the probably most popular “branded” folding bike in Singapore - where I currently reside and ride. Others are the non-branded super market trolleys.

I myself also almost purchased the Brompton - “to go with the crowd” - but in the end I settled for the Strida EVO for the reasons which has been stated in this thread:

1. the fold - it folds like an umbrella and I can walk it like a small baby stroller with one hand - EASY ! Easy on MRT (our train system), SBS Transit (bus), etc. I know Brompton can too - but it’s more complex to fold!
  2. the kelvar cable – it’s NICE not to have a dirty chain when you plan to travel and carry it - espically if you use for travel to work and getting bike grease on your nice work clothes.
  3. I happen to live 200 metres from the official Singapore Strida Distributor (Hello Bicycles!). I do stay near Brompton distributor too - a few bus stops away (Mighty Velo).
  4. Price!!! I can buy 2 Strida EVO’s for 1 Brompton 3 speed - there about pending if on sales etc

Anyway - interesting story - I once riding on the East Coast park trial which is a nice smooth straight stretch of cycling track in Singapore — I had this bike tail me. I got a glimpse of him on the bends - moved left - and allowed him to pass. He did not. He kept tailing me - so I though maybe he wants to “stay in my slip stream” (LOL). Anyway I kickbacked the EVO gear to the 3rd and ramped up the speed - lost him a bit and then later he catches up - we repeat this 5-6 times and probably covered around 5-6 Km. In the last round I shifted left and allowed him to pass me - this time he accelerated and came to my side and asked what bike I was riding and he expressed he was so surprised he barely could keep up speed with me. It was only then I was able to notice his bike - he was on a 6 speed Brompton. I was kinda surprised – I know there are many factors on speed – fitness of rider, endurance, tyres, gear selection, weight etc… but end of story is the Strida EVO when compared to a Brompton - it does really FLY a bit.

Just an old man story here :sunglasses: