Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

Keep Strida Original - say NO to Fakes!

Any kind of Strida related conversations.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

Keep Strida Original - say NO to Fakes!

Postby Amuro Lee on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Last edited by Amuro Lee on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Weakling on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:07 pm

I've seen some bikes that looks like Strida that most likely are fakes on the Alibaba site.
Weakling

Postby Human Amp on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:22 pm

The letter says it all !!
I would say that getting more people onto folding bikes , using multimodal transport, instead of stuck in cars, in traffic jams wasting own time, own resources and worlds resources ... is the highest priority.
If they use fake bikes or 'proper bikes' is less important. Some say the more on bikes (fake of original) the better - its more publicity for the originals.

But it should always be remembered that Fake makers are not trying to help anyone - they are just trying to make a quick profit, they do NOT care if the bike breaks ... its not like fake watches, DVD or clothes - Fake Bikes KILL YOU !! They also can kill the very original they copy ... I hope they have not killed the A-Bike.
Bicycle = Human Amplifier :: :: Strida = Portable Human Amplifier
Human Amp

Postby chainstrainer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Human Amp wrote:... I would say that getting more people onto folding bikes... is the highest priority. If they use fake bikes or 'proper bikes' is less important... but it should always be remembered that Fake makers are not trying to help anyone - ... they do NOT care if the bike breaks...or... KILL YOU !!...

This appears to be a mixed message. You say it's important to get more people onto folding bikes but less important whether they choose a fake folding bike that can kill them? How is the prospect of injury or possible death from fake folders going increase the numbers of folding bike riders? Wouldn't that just kill them off?
I'll gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be with you all!
chainstrainer

Postby Human Amp on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Im concious that some people just cannot afford expensive bikes, their choice is either second hand, fakes or cheap brands.

OK saying fakes will kill you may be an extreme :D
Human Amp

Postby Amuro Lee on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 am

My friend said that his wife will kill him if she knows the actual prices of the bikes which he had bought. :lol:
Last edited by Amuro Lee on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Amuro Lee

Postby Weakling on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:21 pm

But if he had bought one of the fakes she had roasted him slowly over open fire. :) One could pretend one won it over a bet on who had the nicest wife?
Weakling

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:27 pm

i wouldnt like to ride a fake strida..

if my strida fell to bits while riding it could be a rather painful experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Amuro Lee on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm just concious that Mark mentioned other folding bikes and their designers in his letter. However, the designers of Birdy, Markus Riese and Heiko Müller were omitted although Birdys are made by Pacific Cycles in Taiwan which is owned by George Lin :P

Amuro Lee

Bikeforums discussion on fake Stridas

Postby chainstrainer on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:34 am

There is an ongoing thread at www.bikeforums.net under "Folding Bikes".
Here is one response I made there:

I doubt Mr. Sanders “is solely motivated by the fulfillment of his identity as an inventor” nor did I say that I think so. He doesn’t sound like that kind of egotist if you listen to him. Quite the opposite, his motivation in a larger sense may stem from the fact that he appears to be a genuinely good individual who had the creative means within him to solve an observed problem, producing an innovative design that had not existed before and has benefited thousands of people. He has since moved on to other creative problem-solving efforts.

Contrast that to the anonymous person in China who, not inclined to make his own problem-solving effort, has decided to forego originality (assuming he even has the capacity for it), opted to copy Sander’s work instead, and present it as an equal product at a questionable, bargain-basement price. It is remarkable that he didn’t even come up with an original name but simply stripped out the letter “i” in Strida - you know, “i” as in “innovative” and “imaginative”. It's missing. How appropriate!
chainstrainer

Re: Bikeforums discussion on fake Stridas

Postby Human Amp on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 pm

chainstrainer wrote:There is an ongoing thread at www.bikeforums.net under "Folding Bikes".
Here is one response I made there:

I doubt Mr. Sanders “is solely motivated by the fulfillment of his identity as an inventor” nor did I say that I think so. He doesn’t sound like that kind of egotist if you listen to him. Quite the opposite, his motivation in a larger sense may stem from the fact that he appears to be a genuinely good individual who had the creative means within him to solve an observed problem, producing an innovative design that had not existed before and has benefited thousands of people. He has since moved on to other creative problem-solving efforts.

Contrast that to the anonymous person in China who, not inclined to make his own problem-solving effort, has decided to forego originality (assuming he even has the capacity for it), opted to copy Sander’s work instead, and present it as an equal product at a questionable, bargain-basement price. It is remarkable that he didn’t even come up with an original name but simply stripped out the letter “i” in Strida - you know, “i” as in “innovative” and “imaginative”. It's missing. How appropriate!

Well said, Sir !! & thanks for the link ... its stirred up a good, lively discussion
Human Amp

Postby Stridafan on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:49 pm

chainstrainer thanks for the bikeforums link and postings. Much appreciated.
Stridafan

Postby chainstrainer on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Human Amp and Stridafan,

You're welcome to join me in the affray over there.
chainstrainer

Postby Weakling on Thu May 08, 2008 12:14 pm

bikeforums.net has a thread now on the fakes being seen on ebay and on second hand market.

How to spot a used one to not be a real Strida. look here

http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php?p=6656524&postcount=5
Weakling

Postby Human Amp on Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Here is something about the real costs of fakes ...
http://www.myauthentics.com/myths.html
Human Amp

Next

Return to General Strida Chat