Strida Mk 1 Parts Wanted

Hi,

I LOVED the idea of getting a Strida, and the shear brilliance of the design caught my eye straight away. However, having purchased a Mk1 on eBay which rode ok at first (i.e. for the first 10 mins I rode it) the brakes then seized up and metal splinters formed in the brakes, and I have not been able to put it right since.

I would ideally like to keep the bike, so would appreciate if anyone has Mk1 or Mk2 drum brakes and brake hubs they no longer require so I can replace the older ones.

Does anybody know if any of the newer parts are compatible with the older model bikes?

Thanks!

Phil

The rear Mk1 pulley is now not available.
I read (somewhere, here ?) that the best thing to do is dismantle the rear wheel form the brake axle etc. Mk1 manual available on line eg >> strida.co.uk/english/service.php?subpage=manuals

Carefully pick off ALL the metal shavings from the brake shoes, and then using a file or sanding block, smooth the surfaces of the shoes - make sure there is NO metal on the shoes (holes OK , but not metal :sunglasses: )

Repair the Rear pulley / drum eg

1. Refit the flange if loose … and peen over the edge to effectively rivet the pulley and flange together.

2. Carefully smooth the inner braking surface - so that it doesn’t bind/ pick-up the brake shoes.
    (ideally this should be done carefully on a lathe)

3. Look in yellow pages or local trade directories for ‘metal platers’ and find a company who can nickle plate the Pulley … this adds a very hard surface to the pulley - (as the Mk2 pulley) which prevents this metal pickup on the brakes AND reduces wear from the belt.

The only alternative to this is to have a machine shop copy-machine the pulley in Aluminium.
Or make up a new drum and dismantle / machine down a current Strida5 Aluminum rear pulley to fit on a new machined stainless steel Drum brake - this obviously needs a good machine shop.

Good luck !

PS the cheap, short term solution is to disconnect the rear brakes, AND remove the rear brake shoes - so just use the Front brake which is steel (BUT - at your own risk :smiley: )

Oooops this should probably be on Tech or problems page