Considering Strida Purchase

Hello Strida riders,

My research on folding bikes and keen interest in the Strida has brought me to this forum. The Strida 5.0 is out of my price range :frowning: , but I see that yeahbike.com is selling the 3.2 to anywhere in the US for 499 USD including shipping and travel bag… cheaper than US distributor Areaware.

My only concern with the 3.2 has to do with freewheel flex. Part of my planned commute will take me up a moderate hill. Does anyone know if riding this bike up a moderate (~15 degree) slope will damage or even break the plastic bracket securing the freewheel? Given the gearing, figure I’ll be pumping the pedals pretty hard on such a climb.

I also understand that the 3.2 does not come with a snubber. Does anyone know if this can be purchased separately and added to the bike?

Thanks for any responses.

Greg
Los Angeles, CA, USA

I doublt if you’d break a Strida BB (even the plastic one) i’ve given mine a pounding over 3+ years without any problems.

I guess the amout of flex on any bikes or frame depends on your weight - if you are over 200lbs most folding bikes will flex - some in different ways. I find stridas are reallly stiff, especially the handle bar mountings … others have long spindly stems but Strida - triangle has virtually no flex here.

Not 100% sure, but I thought I read in one of the reviews that they all have snubber wheels now.

UK Ebay has a dissatisfield customer.

Check out: Strida 3 - A not very good folding bicyle

Must be wealthy to diss the product he wants to sell - durrrrr

I would imagine from the tone of the email that the seller has gone well beyond caring what it is worth :slight_smile:

reminds me of what strida UK customer service says…
“if you are not happy, we fix the problem, unless it’s existential”.

looks like matey has been at the satre again :smiley:

Considering the information provided I almost went ahead and purchased the 3.2. The BB flex was the only sticky issue, but seems to be a harmless effect according to the long-time Strida rider who posted above. I also enjoyed reading the UK E-bayer’s “critical” critiqe of his Strida 3. With the author’s ok I have gone ahead and posted his critique below rather than let it be lost forever by Ebay’s periodic data purges. I think his findings/opinions are a great source of info as they come from the perspective of someone looking for faults. Such content did not sway my stance on purchase of a Strida since most of the issues he raises:

• have been addressed in the 5 and certain configurations of the 3.2.
  • do not bother me (i.e. looking like a dork to some people). I somewhat agree with the brake loops though. Perhaps a catch-release button would have been a better mechanism used to lock/release the hand-brakes. This might have allowed for one-handed locking/unlocking (faster) of the wheels? This is just a minor nit.

Also, I wouldn’t count the author’s experience with Strida’s customer service as a negative point towards the product. This is a common problem with “all” product vendors (at least in my experience). They advertise that they have great customer service, but the opposite is most often the case.

With further thought on the matter I have gone ahead and ordered the Strida 5 from yeahbike.com for 799 USD. I know… I said the 5 is out of my price range and it still is! However, the bike will pay for itself in one year with the money I save on gas alone (assuming that I commute everyday). Also, this will probably be the only folder that I ever purchase and I have the option of returning it (20% re-stock plus shipping) if it’s not for me so might as well be the latest/greatest model. Thanks again for responding to my post.

------------ Critique Start ------------

It does not really Fold - it sort of splits in half (see picture [[note by Greg: there are two pictures- the first is of an unfolded Strida standing against a wall, the second picture is of same Strida now folded and standing against same wall]]) - and then is supposed to stand upright or be laid down. Laid down it represents a tripping hazard of uncomfortable proportions; standing up unless you immobilise the wheels using the brake loops on the handlebars (a design afterthought if ever I saw one). A magnet holds it all together and is not very satisfactory being either too much or not enough and the bike is either impossible to unfold or comes unfolded at the wrong time

It is not convenient to carry - much is made of the ability to roll it along - do not be fooled it is akward piece of kit to lift and carry and even roll along; especially upstairs at stations etc.

You look a right dork riding one - the rear mounted position gives you the impression that you are on a penny farthing - Viscount Linley may have had a go at looking cool but the overall reaction is one of undisguised hilarity and mirth - and they are not laughing with you.

Not suitable for London - some seven inner tubes later I would conclude that the nature of the frame and tyre configuration is such that pinch flats are a way of life with this “bike” - this particular bike is supplied with a flat back tyre (sorry sick of changing them), but comes with spare inner tube and set of tyre spanners (if you weigh more than 80kg you will need them a lot). The bike has also been fitted with a stronger rear tyre supplied by Strida who appear to tacitly acknowledge that there is an issue. The tyre is the standard tyre used on a Brompton (strange that!) - however - you still get flats. If you weigh very little, only want to cycle a short distance on flat well repaired roads you will probably get away with it.

Design Defects/Product Recalls - for a bike that is supposed to be the pinnacle of design it has had two major structural issues in 12 months of ownership: first, the ball joint at the top of the A frame cracked and had to be replaced (an engineer admitted this had been an issue, although there was no formal recall) slightly off putting when the bike collapses while riding; secondly, there was a formal product recall (see website: www.strida.co.uk ) in relation to the steering pin that apparently could work loose. I have had both these items professionally replaced and the bike has been serviced.

Trendy but broadly useless Customer Service - lots of talk about customer service and focus, but not much action; after a year of constant issues I decided enough was enough and that I had given it my best shot but that bike was either a lemon or was just a design dud; after four weeks of delays and prevarications I was tartly informed that the would give me a 35% refund and I could pay for delivery and that the bike had “no frame issues” - well not since the last product recall in any event! After a bit of haggling this went up to 65% but I would have to pay for shipping. I felt that selling on Ebay would be more fun. Interestingly I have noted on my daily commute that three Strida’s have come and gone in my 12 months of ownership and been replaced by something more suitable.

Other stuff you should know - the kevlar belt slips - this was particularly noticeable on the new bike (apprently factory tuned!) but was better after it was adjusted properly during its service; it comes with a couple of different colour mudguards (green and blue) - it also has the rubber muguard extension fitted (actually a “bribe” that came with the replacement steering pin!). It is not what you would call brilliantly clean, however it has been fully serviced. Funnily enough I will not ship it as I cannot think how to pack it and I would not waste my time so London purchasers or enthusiastic owners only please.

Specification - just over 12 months old - ridden about 5 miles a day during week; orange mud guards fitted (plus rubber extension); “performance kit” - folding handle bars and folding pedals, rear rack, new rear tyre (non-standard supplied by Strida), new steering pin, new ball joint, serviced by Velorution in London. Flat back tyre following last pinch flat - new inner tube and tyre spanner supplied for free, plus pump (so that you can check pressures every time you ride it)

Oh My Dear you mean you are actually going to bid - if after all this you still think that you want one of these then I look forward to meeting you; I will give you a free go on a Brompton just so that you will realise what a huge error you have made and that notwithstanding the supposedly bargain basement price it is, indeed very hard to drive a bargain - well for any distance without getting a flat or possibly it falling to pieces. Please ensure that you have a helmet. For blokes please note that if you come to an abrupt stop your front bits will clonk the A frame quite hard - I have watering eyes to prove this.

------------ Critique End ------------

Greg
Los Angeles, CA, USA

The replacement tyre above could have been from the same manufacture, but the strida wheels are a different size to the Brompton’s.

I’ve only ever had one puncture on my Kendas (in about 2 months) after that I bought some Slime filled inner tubes (allegedly self healing), and fitted Slime plastic tape between the tubes and the tyres.

The post about the Brompton standard tyre not fitting on the Strida is incorrect. Weirdly I am aware the tyres made by the same manufacturer come in different sizes and could actually tell by the simple expedient of “reading” that the tyre was in fact the same size.

Strida supplied standard Brompton Tyre as a replacement for their standard tyre. The Brompton tyres sze is 16 x 1 3/8. This fits on the narrow rim of the Strida. I assume that the rationale for being sent this tyre when I complained about pinch flats was to supply a wider tyre.

Unfortunately - or rather fortunately given the other problems that I had with the bike and my now happy ownership of a Brompton (three months and not so much a hint of major mechanical or tyre failure) - this did not prevent pinch flats.

Regards

William (ex-Strida 3 owner) (Sold on Ebay )

I admit I have not actually tried a Brompton 16 x 1 3/8 ( ISO 37-349) tyre on a Strida rim. (Strida tyres are 16 x 1 3/8 (ISO 40-305 )

Anyone else tried?

Pinch flats on any bike can be caused by under inflated tyres.
I run my Strida at 45 PSI. (having a track pump with pressure gauge at home is really handy)

I have on occasion gone a little higher, without tyres blowing off them rim but it is against Strida’s advice (and the psi Kenda tyes that came with my 2nd hand hand Strida). So you shouldn’t do it.

I once had a mountain bike with badly machined metal rims that had spikes of metal on that repeatedly caused punctures till I realised and filed them down. Could there have been a sliver of plastic?

I’m about 85 kg with my bag.
The Strida 3’s maximum rider rating is 110kg

I’m glad the experience hasn’t put you off folders all together.

Glad you are still ‘in the fold’ - I’ve got several folders including a brompton and a strida, and each has their own ‘sweat spot’ … Brompton’s is its great build and amazingly small cubic fold … its the one I take if I need to stow in a locker. All here know Strida’s benefits (light, quick fold, wheelability, simplicity and about 1/2 price)… but the one thing I guarentee you’ll miss is when you get a rear flat on the brompton … its an absolute pig to fix, but with no forks, about as easy as you can get on a Strida… I guess with a string of punctures you already know that :smiley: