Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

orientation of the washer in handlebar lock part 215-09

Have a problem with your Strida? The answer is probably in here already, or can be provided by our experienced regular contributors.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

orientation of the washer in handlebar lock part 215-09

Postby simonvi on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Hello all, does anyone knows the correct orientation of the washer in the handlebar lock, part 215-09 ? at least mine is not rectangular, it's more like a trapezoid, it's cracked now and I have ordered a replacement from strida Canada west, I want to know so not to crack the new one.

Thanks in advance

Simon
simonvi

Re: orientation of the washer in handlebar lock part 215-09

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Hello Simon,

I believe it's usually mounted pointing downwards (meaning the straight edge with 4 corners), but it works vice-versa, too.
Also, I'm pretty sure that it did not brake not due to wrong orientation, it's just overused plastic.
(In other words - depending on bolt torque and clamp use frequency - it will break again sooner or later.) Fortunately it's not an expensive part :|

Kind regards,

Chris
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Postby simonvi on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Blackstridaaustria wrote:Hello Simon,

I believe it's usually mounted pointing downwards (meaning the straight edge with 4 corners), but it works vice-versa, too.
Also, I'm pretty sure that it did not brake not due to wrong orientation, it's just overused plastic.
(In other words - depending on bolt torque and clamp use frequency - it will break again sooner or later.) Fortunately it's not an expensive part :|

Kind regards,

Chris

Thanks again Chris for your fast response

Simon
simonvi

Postby Bill Wilby on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi Simon, this may help, the corners that are shaped do face down on new Strida bikes, the curve of the washer fits the round axle. I don't see a reason other than so the nylon washer is less visible. I don't think it would matter if it was installed with the shaped corners facing up.

Bill
Bill Wilby

Postby simonvi on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Bill Wilby wrote:Hi Simon, this may help, the corners that are shaped do face down on new Strida bikes, the curve of the washer fits the round axle. I don't see a reason other than so the nylon washer is less visible. I don't think it would matter if it was installed with the shaped corners facing up.

Bill

Bill, with your explanation now it´s cristal clear and the orientation is just esthetic.

Thanks for taking the time to explain

Simon
simonvi

Return to Strida Problems and Answers