Rear brake hose : cut at the top link of the frame

Hello Striders,

I ride my EVO3 everyday to go to work.
And I fold it 4 times a day.

It seems it is too often and the rear brake hoose is progressively damaged until it is pretty cut :imp:

It is the second time I’m facing this issue.
The first time the dealer replaced the hose under warranty with the red one you can see on the picture. 6 monthes later, it is cut, but the brake is still working.

But I think it is dangerous to continue riding the strida with such a cut hose.
Did some of you already face this problem ?

I’m contemplating replacing it with a stronger hose, maybe a mountain bike hose such as jagwire.
Any suggestions?
Is it easy to replace it by ourselves?

Here is the photo.

I forgot to log in on the first post :blush:
I think some moderators have the power to turn guest into logged in people :smiling_imp:

Hello sunkist-evo 3 :smiley:

Sure :laughing:

Well, never did that myself, so far, but there’s a good thread about…sh…just finding it…

However - do not pull that thing out without attaching before another wire, rope or similar, onto it :wink:

Edit: :laughing: Gandalf is here, too?

Yes, great advice! This way pulling the existing hose out is automatically puting the new hose in.
That’s a tip of magician. :mrgreen:

Well…actually no, met that trick first working as an electrician
still searchin’ for a magician’s apprenticeship… :mrgreen:

This thread was meant before:

Redoing your brake cables? have spare parts handy!

Another interesting one:
how long is our brake cable housing and cables?

Hi Sunkist EVO-3, I just replaced the cables on a Strida. I wanted the cables to be longer to fit a set of M-Style Handlebars without using the Strida supplied cable extensions. The most difficult part for me was removing the metal spring like cable protector. I damaged it when taking it off the old cable. I will be ordering this part and stocking it in the future. Does anyone have a suggestion for a alternative protection piece?

Bill

All I know about the brake cable spring is:

• It’s coming straight (Meaning curled up wire of course; but not clipped.)

and

• I’ve seen at a Strida tools document that Ming is using a Knipex bolt cutter like these (most likely equipped with custom cutting edge)
    Knipex CoBolt® bolt cutters
    to clip the spring onto the brake hose.

An alternative could be perhaps heat shrinking tube but I’d recommend to use a tube type with hot glue coating at the inside.

@Bill
Do you remember mentioned document?
(I couldn’t find that anywhere online.)

@sunkist-evo3
Maybe your spring was clipped a little bit too much since the beginning.

Thank you for your answers. :sunglasses:
I will look for a strong hose, and try to replace the existing one.

Of course I could send you a spring, but no idea how it has to be treatened…

Well…forgot to login…

Watch out, a stronger hose might also be stiffer and would crack faster when folding repeatedly. I wonder if it wouldn’t be preferable to take a more flexible hose.

Would you then be able to assemble it in the frame once the tube is shrunk around the brake cable hose?

On my Dahon, I have such a spiral to hold the brake and the derailleur cables together in front of the handlebar. It is maybe an alternative to the spring?

No - not that way - you’re right.
But I’m pretty sure that he clipping process of the spring has to be in fact the last work step.
So - I believe - if it’s possible to clip it must be also possible to shrink (by moderate heatgun, not flame thrower :laughing: ).

I’ve pm’ed you some info to explain why I do think so - unfortunately I can’t supply that in public :wink:

The flexible hose seems a good idea, but on a single brake hose it will most likely start sliding.
It should be fixed, but how?

Check also this post for cable assembly: [url]Changing rear brake cable on Strida LT]

Hello striders,

I replaced my rear hose on yesterday evening.
I was quite surprised because it was easier than I initialy thought.

Here is the kit I bought : decathlon.fr/kit-cables-gain … 89252.html

I read the different topics you mentionned above, and did a mix :

• removed the cable
  • removed the rear part of the cut hose
  • introduced the new hose from the bottom of the tube, up to the top of the triangle.
    => Here was the main difficulty : I I had to use tweezers to grap the hose and get it out of the tube, then pushed it from the bottom.
  • introduced the old cable into the front part of the cut hose, in order to use the cable as a guide for the new hose
  • removed the front part of the cut hose, but not the cable
  • removed the spring
  • introduced the spring on the new hose, and insert the hose on the cable
  • pushed the hose so that it crossed the handlebar stem and guided it outside using the cable
  • removed the cable and cut the hose on each end + add hose end parts
  • introduced the new cable
  • done

:slight_smile: