Uphill with strida

Hi, this is my first post, hope you don’t mind.
In strida manual (page 18), there is an instruction, that we should not stand on pedal.
But it is easier to stand on pedal while doing uphill. So what should we do if we are going to uphill ?

Thanks

Hi white.strida,

sorry for coming out before the masters, but I think this is because of the plastic folding pedals which might not withstand the weight of the rider. I do however stand on the pedals when I get on the bike (my saddle is high enough to stand on the ground while sitting) and occasionally when going uphill. Two thousand km – no issues this far. Your mileage may vary of course.

–A

Hello white.strida,

why should we mind - nice that you’re here!

That’s quite possible…
…another reason for the warning could be that your most sensitive parts might be in great danger.
(While stand-up pedaling “something” might hit the upper frame!)

at least, there are 2 possible reasons why we should not standing while pedaling :slight_smile:

• cubicapple : plastic folding pedals which might not withstand the weight of the rider
  • Blackstridaaustria : our most sensitive parts might be in great danger

or maybe the plastic gear will broke too

so to prevent this from happening :

1. upgrade the plastic pedals and crank to something stronger
  2. be VERY careful while pedaling (especially when the point number 1 is not resolved yet)

any more comments ?

As for #2 above – I never experienced any problems like that… Except maybe my first days with Strida when I tended to get off the bike by jumping off the saddle forward, as I would on a normal bike. Maybe I don’t have these problems because my saddle is at its highest position (though I’m not the tallest guy, just about 175 cm). This is a good practice anyway I’d say for your pedaling becomes more efficient (and you have to stand on the pedals less frequently btw).

I think another reason not to stand is that your weight might give way to the bottom bracket holding the crank assembly and chainwheel.

Yes, or at least cause hairline fractures. Perhaps a reason why they changed the BB design for the SX?

First post from me. I use my Strida3 occasionally to get to the railway station and then in London at the other end. London is no problem, but I live in a town on a steep hill. Riding down to the station in the morning is no problem. But riding the thing back up the hill on the return journey is, frankly, unpleasant in a business suit.

I can do it - but I’m totally out of puff at the end. I’m one of the people who think cycling should be possible without the requirement of becoming an athlete. I’m not prepared to strip down to Lycra and have a massive work-out every ride home. The Strida should be about convenience, not physical fitness.

I’m not the tallest bloke in the world but I find standing on the pedals simply too unstable (as in potentially falling over the front of the bike).

I know there has always been a dogma about ‘no gears’ and - to me - this is the only downside to the Strida and the reason I don’t use it as often as I could.

I only want a lower gear for hills. A two-speed Strida would be fine for me. It appears that there are kits out there (and new models) - but can I fit any of these systems to my Strida3?

Or do I have to fork out £750 for a new Strida MAS? I’m happy with the 16" wheels and everything else about my Strida3, I just want a lower gear for safe uphill riding. I’m not really after a higher gear for more speed - going down the hill puts the bike into ‘wiggle-wiggle-crash!’ fear mode as it is…

Then again, the brakes are marginal on my Strida3 so a disc-brake version may be a good idea… can anyone let me know whether modifying my old Strida3 is economically / practically feasible, or whether my best bet is to try to find the money to buy a new, two-gear model? I’m based in the UK (as per London comment above)…

And hi to everyone here! :slight_smile:

Hi catfish,

welcome at Stridaforum!

There’s just one kit on the market - the Schlumpf speed drive kit for Strida - but (due to the excentric bottom bracket) this will fit only Strida 5.xx models, I’m sorry to say.
It might be possible to make a usual Schlumpf drive fit a Strida 3, but with very high technical effort only.
As far I know the freewheel mechanism of the Strida 3 is located inside the front belt wheel, not in the rear pulley.
To build this mechanism around the Schlumpf drives will be very complicated, maybe even impossible.

According to Ming cycle the new 3 speed drive (EVO) will not be available as a spare part, moreover that it will not fit the Strida 5.xx bottom bracket - the diameter of the EVO drive is bigger than the “old” 5.xx or MAS bracket.

As the Strida 3 frame doesn’t have brake caliper mounts you would have to find somebody to weld mounts to the frame ( I would refuse to do that for safety reasons, btw).
After that you’ll have the next problem; you need to change the wheels…
And I guess that Strida 5.xx wheels will not fit the Strida 3 axles. :unamused:

That seems to be the best choice, a new Strida means also new warranty.
Maybe you can sell your Strida 3 to an enthusiastic vintage Strider…

One technique I do on uphills is to lean my body forward so that some of my body weight will be distributed on the forward section of the bike. This technique is also useful when I need to accelerate.

hi there,

i am just new here, about a few minutes ago. i haven’t yet any Strida, but i’m planning to buy a Strida LT this December. the reason why is to save money and gasoline. but i also have same problem which climb a hill. i think Chester Tan has a good advice. :smiley:
how about the others, is there anybody using a Strida LT on a steep hill? as of the moment, i have no plan to buy a high graded Strida. please help me. :cry:

Hi Aeroman76,

If you don’t want to invest in a Schlumpf Speed Drive kit, which I understand considering its high price :frowning: , then I would suggest you to buy the bent steer.

It helps to have a more “active” position on the bike and to put more force on the pedals. Experiments prove that there is an optimal angle (between 70° & 100°) between the upper body and the upper leg when maximum force is applied on the pedal (pedal arm at 90°). That is why race cyclists or MTB riders have a crouched position on their bike. The riding position on a Strida is like on a dutch bike: ideal for the city or for riding on flats but not for sporty ride.

The bent steer is rather cheap (less that 30 Eur) and easy to install. It will also make the steering less nervous because the steer is wider. See also this topic: [url]Crouched riding position and standard steer].

Hi Aeroman76,

So far, I have tested 3 variations of Stridas on an uphill road this year. about 6-10 kms going uphill. I’m not sure about the grade of the steepness but I have tried the Stida 5 or LT is a capable climber as well.

The other Strida I have tested are SD 16" wheels and SD with 18" wheels.

If you are regularly riding uphill eventually your legs would get used to it. I used to change to low gear on a route I take to visit my cousin but now I can use the high gear even on the slight uphill.

Another technique is to pedal like that of road bikers where you use the toe part on the the pedal and not the arch of your foot.

Happy riding.