Strida2 needs repair at rear wheel

Here is the exchange I have had so far with the US distributor. I need help fixing my rear wheel and/or brake backing plate. This is last email first.

I have tried epoxy and it didn’t work. At this point my main question is whether that ring should be attached to the wheel and turn with it. The other option would be to attach it to the backing plate for the brakes so that it doesn’t rotate. Wherever it should be my plan is to braze or weld it there. If you can get information on how this was originally configured, I would appreciate it. Thank you. Jim

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM, ECCS Customer Service customerservice@eccyclesupply.com wrote:
James,

Hi, sorry about the delay in response time.  Comparing the pictures that you sent to the specs and parts that I have here, I have to say that it is a completely different system.  Your drive system kind of just mounts on to the wheel with the four grey pins, while the wheels that we have use threaded freewheel systems like a normal bicycle wheel.  I would have to agree with you on your epoxy idea.  I can look into contacting the company that distributed these before us if you would like to see if they have something that would work for your bike if you would like me to.  Please let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day.

~ECCS Customer Service
customerservice@eccyclesupply.com

From: jameswells.41@gmail.com [mailto:jameswells.41@gmail.com] On Behalf Of James Wells
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:14 PM
To: ECCS Customer Service
Subject: Re: Strida needs repair

Mike

I don’t think the freewheel is what I need. The freewheel for my bike is part of the pedal mechanism. The problem that I have is with the rear wheel. On most bicycles that is where the freewheel would be but not on my Strida. I am attaching two pictures. One shows the wheel with the problem ring in place on top of the toothed part of the wheel/brake drum. The other shows the ring leaning on the toothed part. Again, the problem is that nothing really holds the ring onto the drum. I am considering using epoxy. What do you suggest?

Jim

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM, ECCS Customer Service customerservice@eccyclesupply.com wrote:
James,

Hi, this is Mike with East Coast Cycle Supply.  Thanks for the email, I’m sorry to hear about the issue that you’re having with your bike.  I would just want to look in to this a little before I gave you any definite answers, to be honest.  You list your purchase date as 11/13/2000.  We just picked up the Strida license this year, so  I have very little information of the bikes that were manufactured before then.  I do have freewheels for the Strida LT (the “toothed wheel” that you mentioned in your email), but I want to make sure that the one that I have is the one that was used on your bike.  Is there any way that you could take a picture of the part in question and send it to me o I have a visual guide?  You can use this email address or you can use [mikep@eccyclesupply.com](mailto:mikep@eccyclesupply.com).  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, and have a great day.

~ECCS Customer Service
customerservice@eccyclesupply.com

From: jameswells.41@gmail.com [mailto:jameswells.41@gmail.com] On Behalf Of James Wells
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 8:15 PM
To: customerservice@eccyclesupply.com
Subject: Strida needs repair

I have a Strida which I purchased 11/13/00 from BikeLink. Serial # 001695. I have a problem with the rear wheel. The ring that keeps the belt on on the right side of the toothed wheel has come loose. It looks like it was a press fit. How do you suggest fixing it? Thank you.

I filled out a form on the USA distributors site, but some computer problem made it impossible to submit.

321-242-9884 or 828-452-7781

I have a Strida2 which I purchased 11/13/00 from BikeLink. Serial # 001695. I have a problem with the rear wheel. The ring that keeps the belt on at the right side of the toothed wheel has come loose. It looks like it was a press fit, either to the wheel or to the brake backing plate, I can’t tell which. How do you suggest fixing it? Thank you. You could email me jim@321mail.us

Some progress to report.
This forum led me to the Strida One manual which shows a cross section of my rear wheel and suggests that I can refix the “flange” to the toothed part by “peaning” the inside edge of the flange. I guess that I am not a very good peaner because my peaning doesn’t help. The flange is still loose. I am looking for a way to make a firm connection, welding or screwing or ???. Can you weld zinc? I don’t see a way to screw it on. At least I now know that the flange is part of the wheel and not part of the backing plate.
Thank you in advance for more help.
Jim jim@321mail.us

Hello Jim,
about 2 hours ago I’ve mailed you:

You did not receive the message?

I did receive the message.
Thank you very much.
Jim

Maybe you can use the wheels from a Strida 3 to replace the wheels on your Strida 2. :wink:
[url]Strida "2" owner needs our help! on Bikeforums - #3 by Amuro_Lee]

More emphatic peaning has apparently solved the problem. The flange is attached, but I am not very happy with the method. If anyone has any experience with a more positive way of doing this, I would like to hear about it. TIA. Jim