MK1 top plastic socket broken

Hi,
I broke plastic socket of the top of Strida MK1 triangle (where the ball joint goes in). Anyone knows how to get a spare one?

Thanks…

It probably depends on where you are based ?

• some distributors stock earlier spares than others.

Well Im in Hunary, hard to find any parts here.

Hi partizan,

vanmoof has sometimes parts available, which are not shown in the webshop.

http://vanmoof.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=112_114
http://vanmoof.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=112_115
http://vanmoof.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=112_126

Ask for it!

info@strida-europe.com

Best regards

Thanks!

Actually, there’re some hints on this forum. :wink:
[url]Strida 1 Ball Socket Repair/Replacement]
[url]STRIDA long term maintaince]
[url]Repairing MK1 Top Joint Plastic Moulding with Epoxy]

I just bought an old MK1 that appears to have been sitting idle for quite some time. I decided to take it for a test ride but only managed to roll a few meters before the entire thing snapped in half. Both the upper and lower sockets on mine broke. It must’ve been a funny crash, but I don’t think anyone saw it.

Anyway, I am planning to make some replacement sockets myself by machining them out of aluminum. If anyone that is reading this has attempted such an undertaking, please let me know. I read a thread that described a similar repair, but I would like to do something that I could make more than one of in the event that others might need to repair their MK1. From the looks of the one I have, I can’t imagine that any of these still have the original sockets. The plastic material used was extremely brittle.

I heard that plastic parts used on the early bikes numbered 1 to 3000 are more brittle than the later manufactured bikes. :wink:
[url]Old stuff about the past generations of Strida]

The serial number on my Strida is 2821. I never would’ve guessed that it is as old as it is. It looked as though it had only been ridden once or twice. Hopefully, it will be a solid bike once I make some new parts for it. I don’t foresee it being too difficult, and the end result will certainly be superior to the original.

Also, I had no idea that the Strida bikes have been around for so long. I thought that they were a relatively new design. I’m still unsure whether it’s a good or bad thing that I ended up with one of the first ones. It sounds as though I may need to figure something out for the braking system, too. I will have to do more research. Thank you for posting the link to the history. There is some great information in this forum.

You are welcome ions82. :slight_smile:
Here is more information about the history of the Strida: :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strida#History
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_GKCfbYcU
http://picasaweb.google.com/MAS.DPL/StridaArchivePIX#

1 Like

Hello ions82, i am a proud new owner of a Střídá MK1, seriál number 21368. The upper ball joint moulding Is also broken in my bike. Did you manage to make a spáře part out of Aluminium? So you have probably one more part and would you Dell it? I’m desperatly searching this part. Thanks for your answer.
Marek

Hello Marek,

welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:

I’m in doubt that your message might reach ions82 after such a long time…
Maybe this could help you:
Grabcad/Strida spares by Mark Sanders
Regards,
Chris

Hallo Chris, ich bin neu hier im Forum. Vielen Dank für deine ultraschnelle Antwort! Aus deinen vielen Beiträgen hier im Forum habe ich herausgelesen,dass du aus Wien kommst. Deshalb wage ich es auch, dich deutsch anzuschreiben. Ich hoffe, das ist ok?!
Ich habe auch die CAD Dateien gefunden, nur kann ich als Laie damit nichts anfangen.
Weißt du denn von einem Strida-Enthusiasten, der damit die Lagerschalen für das obere Kugelgelenk gedruckt hat, oder noch besser, sie aus Aluminium gefräst hat? Und diese evtl. in größerer Stückzahl produziert hat und sie evtl. verkaufen würde?
Kann man mit dieser Datei eine CAD- Fräse füttern und evtl. bei einem Betrieb die Lagerschalen fräsen lassen?
Vielen Dank schon mal im voraus für deine Antwort.
Marek

Hello Chris, I’m new here in the forum. Thank you for your ultra-fast response! From your many posts here in the forum I read that you come from Vienna. That’s why I dare to write to you in German. I hope that is ok?!
I also found the CAD files, but as a layperson I can’t do anything with them.
Do you know of a Strida enthusiast who used it to print the bearing shells for the upper ball joint, or better yet, milled them out of aluminum? And may have produced these in larger quantities and would possibly sell them?
Can you feed a CAD milling machine with this file and perhaps have the bearing shells milled at a company?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Marek

Servus Marek,
ja klar, das ist sozusagen wunderbar in deutscher Sprache, da kann ich mich doch etwas besser ausdrücken :nerd_face:

Sehr gerne erzähle ich Dir ein wenig von dem was ich darüber weiß, gefallen wird es Dir aber leider nicht besonders…

Genau genommen bin ich auch noch Laie auf dem Gebiet CAD, das Einzige was ich jemals von Profis anfertigen ließ sind die TriLock Muttern (und mit 3D Druck beschäftige ich mich erst sein wenigen Jahren).

Ich kenne leider niemand der diesen Teil selbst verwendet/fertigt.

Diese Dateien sind sicher auch dafür geeignet um den Teil aus Aluminium fräsen zu lassen - und hier kommt schon das erste große ABER:
Im Fall der TriLock Muttern kostet das ab 6-8 € pro Stück - aber bei einer Mindestabnahme von 100 Stück!
Wegen der (im Vergleich zur TriLock Mutter) enormen Größe des Teiles und der Komplexität würde ich schätzen das dieser wohl ein bis mehrere hundert € kostet - bei einer Mindestabnahme von mehreren hundert Stück!

Den Teil selbst zu erstellen würde ich gerne mal versuchen - ABER:

1. Das Ding ist zu groß für meinen 3D Drucker, dazu müßte ich mir zuerst ein anderes Modell kaufen (Investition ca. 300 €)
  2. Da es sich um einen sicherheitsrelevanten Teil handelt könnte ich den Teil nicht offiziell verkaufen (Verantwortung.)
  3. Ich würde zum 3D Drucken jedenfalls kohlefaserverstärktes Filament verwenden, das ist teuer.
  4. Ich besitze kein Strida älter als 5.0

Man kann natürlich (auf eigene Verantwortung) den Teil bei Profis 3D drucken lassen - hier lautet das ABER so:
Ich bilde mir ein das mal versucht zu haben, nur aus Interesse, letztlich waren mir aber die Kosten zu hoch (ca. 200 € wenn ich mich richtig erinnere…)

Die einzige, halbwegs kostengünstige, Möglichkeit wird sein einen guten Freund zu finden der über einen (von der Größe her) passenden 3D Drucker besitzt, denke ich…

Übrigens…wo bist Du denn zu Haus?

Herzliche Grüße,

Chris

Hello Marek,
Yes, of course, that’s wonderful in German, so to speak, I can express myself a little better :nerd_face:

I would be happy to tell you a little about what I know about it, but unfortunately you won’t particularly like it…

Strictly speaking, I’m also a layperson in the field of CAD, the only thing I’ve ever had made by professionals are the TriLock nuts (and I’ve only been involved in 3D printing for a few years).

Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone who uses/makes this part themselves.

These files are certainly also suitable for having the part milled from aluminum - and here comes the first big BUT:
In the case of TriLock nuts, this costs from €6-8 per piece - but with a minimum purchase of 100 pieces!
Because of the enormous size of the part (compared to the TriLock nut) and the complexity, I would estimate that it probably costs one to several hundred euros - with a minimum purchase of several hundred pieces!

I would like to try to create the part myself - BUT:

• The thing is too big for my 3D printer, so I would have to buy another model first (investment approx. €300)
  • Since it is a safety-related part, I could not officially sell the part (responsibility.)
  • In any case, I would use carbon fiber reinforced filament for 3D printing, it is expensive.
  • I don’t own a Strida older than 5.0

You can of course (at your own risk) have the part 3D printed by professionals - BUT here it goes like this:
I imagine I tried it once, just out of interest, but in the end the costs were too high for me (around €200 if I remember correctly…)
Shapeways
3D Printing Service Online

Shapeways is the #1 online 3D printing service company. Working with over a million customers since 2007 - Get 3D products and parts delivered to over 100 countries.

The only reasonably cost-effective option will be to find a good friend who has a suitable 3D printer (in terms of size), I think…

By the way…where are you at home?

Best regards,

Chris

Hallo Chris, ich komme aus Bubenreuth, ein kleines Städtchen unmittelbar nördlich von Erlangen.
Ich hatte gehofft, dass vielleicht jemand mit den Dateien von Mark Sanders schon dieses Ersatzteil nachgebaut hat. Es ist natürlich sehr schade, dass die Lagerschalen aus Kunststoff waren, sozusagen die eingebaute Sollbruchstelle. Das hat eine so geniale Konstruktion wie das Strida nicht verdient. Es ist nicht nachvollziehbar, dass da vermutlich wegen Kostendruckes an der falschen Stelle gespart wurde. Ich weiß natürlich nicht, wie die Produktionsmethoden und -kosten in den 80er Jahren waren.
Sollte dieses Ersatzteil tatsächlich nicht zu kaufen sein, hätte ich evtl. eine Möglichkeit es aus Aluminium fräsen zu lassen. Ein Großcousin von mir hat einen kleinen Betrieb mit CAD Fräse in Südböhmen. Ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass er das hinbekäme, falls die Dateien für seine Fräse geeignet sind.
Hast du denn eine Vorstellung, ob und wie viele Leute Interesse an diesen Lagerschalen hätten? Das wäre natürlich wichtig für ihn zu wissen, da ja die Hauptarbeit ist, die Fräse mit den Daten zu füttern. Den “Rest” macht sie ja dann relativ automatisch.
Insofern wäre natürlich die Abnahmemenge relevant für eine Preisfindung.
Ansonsten herzlichen Dank für deine super schnelle Antworten. Ich bin total begeistert von dem Forum und habe in den letzten wenigen Tagen unglaublich viel gelernt über das Strida. Ich bin jetzt schon totaler Fan, obwohl ich noch kein einziges Mal darauf gefahren bin…:rofl:
Verstehe ich es richtig, dass du der Administrator bist.
Auf jeden Fall ganz tolle Arbeit!

Hello Chris, I come from Bubenreuth, a small town just north of Erlangen.
I was hoping that maybe someone had already recreated this replacement part using Mark Sanders’ files. It is of course a great shame that the bearing shells were made of plastic, the built-in breaking point, so to speak. Such an ingenious design like the Strida doesn’t deserve that. It is incomprehensible that savings were made in the wrong place due to cost pressure. Of course I don’t know what the production methods and costs were in the 80s.
If this spare part is actually not available for purchase, I might have the option of having it milled from aluminum. A great cousin of mine has a small business with a CAD milling machine in southern Bohemia. I could imagine that he could manage that if the files are suitable for his milling machine.
Do you have any idea whether and how many people would be interested in these bearing shells? That would of course be important for him to know, since the main work is feeding the milling machine with the data. It then does the “rest” relatively automatically.
In this respect, the purchase quantity would of course be relevant for pricing.
Otherwise, thank you very much for your super quick answers. I’m really excited about the forum and have learned an incredible amount about the Strida in the last few days. I’m already a total fan, even though I haven’t ridden it once yet…:rofl:
Do I understand correctly that you are the administrator.
Definitely great work!

Wenn man sich die Download Zahl der Dateien ansieht ist m. E. auf jeden Fall davon auszugehen dass irgendjemand die Teile bereits hergestellt hat.
Allerdings wäre es vermessen auf die tatsächliche Anzahl zu schließen - und, wie gesagt, gemeldet hat sich hier noch niemand.
Ich glaube es müssen noch wirklich viele MK1 irgendwo verstauben, wie viele es tatsächlich sind kann ich nicht abschätzen.

Das hat eine so geniale Konstruktion wie das Strida nicht verdient.

Du sprichst mir aus der Seele, bedauerlichweise muß ich sagen dass sich - ca 35 Jahre später! - daran nichts geändert hat; das Strida verdient viele Dinge absolut nicht!
Der Hersteller ist jedoch zu Gesprächen keinesfalls bereit, deswegen wird das auch in Zukunft so bleiben.
Ärgerliches Thema, weiteres nur auf ausdrückliche Nachfrage.

Wenn ein Verwandter, Freund o.ä. so etwas fräsen könnte wäre es wirklich toll!
(Ich suche übrigens auch jemanden der die TriLock Muttern günstig fertigen könnte/wollte, Näheres später via PM.)
Ich schlage vor Du sendest Deinem Großcousin einfach den Grabcad link, sagst dazu “100 Stück”…und dann begibst Du Dich in ein Sauerstoffzelt…
Nein wirklich, die ganze Sache steht und fällt mit dem Preis, da bin ich ganz sicher, für 40 € kauft das jeder - aber für 200 € keiner…
Falls die Dateien, wider Erwarten, für die Fräse Deines Großcousins nicht taugen würden dann könnten wir Mark Sanders um Änderung/Anpassung ersuchen, das sehe ich nicht als Problem.

Kurz zum Forum:
Seit der Gründung 2007 bis in den Sommer 2023 war Garry Wright, ein netter Engländer ohne Geschäftsbeziehung zu Strida/Ming cycle, der alleinige Administrator.
Freundlicherweise übernahm Friso, der Chef von Strida Netherlands, dieses Jahr das Forum und die (lange vernachlässigte) Aufgabe, inklusive der Einspielung neuer Forensoftware.
Ich bin/war immer nur Moderator und das soll auch so bleiben um meinem Status völliger Unabhängigkeit von Strida/Ming cycle/Stridaforum zu unterstreichen bzw. beizubehalten.

If you look at the download number of files, in my opinion it can definitely be assumed that someone has already manufactured the parts.
However, it would be presumptuous to draw conclusions about the actual number - and, as I said, no one has reported this yet.
I think there must still be a lot of MK1s gathering dust somewhere, I can’t estimate how many there actually are.

Such an ingenious design like the Strida doesn’t deserve that.

You speak from my soul, unfortunately I have to say that - about 35 years later! - nothing changed about it; the Strida absolutely doesn’t deserve many things!
However, the manufacturer is by no means willing to talk, so it will remain that way in the future.
Annoying topic, further information only upon explicit request.

If a relative, friend or similar could mill something like this it would be really great!
(By the way, I’m also looking for someone who could/would like to produce the TriLock nuts cheaply, more details later via PM.)
I suggest you simply send your cousin the Grabcad link, say “100 pieces”… and then go into an oxygen tent…
No really, the whole thing depends on the price, I’m quite sure, everyone will buy it for €40 - but no one will buy it for €200…
If, contrary to expectations, the files are not suitable for your cousin’s milling machine then we could ask Mark Sanders to make changes/adaptations, I don’t see that as a problem.

Briefly about the forum:
From its founding in 2007 until the summer of 2023, Garry Wright, a nice Englishman with no business connection to Strida/Ming cycle, was the sole administrator.
Friso, the boss of Strida Netherlands, kindly took over the forum and the (long-neglected) task this year, including the installation of new forum software.
I am/was always just a moderator and it should stay that way in order to underline or maintain my status of complete independence from Strida/Ming cycle/Stridaforum.

Lieber Chris, vielen Dank für deine sehr ausführliche Antwort. Ich denke, ich werde meinen Großcousin mal kontaktieren. Gehe ich recht in der Annahme, dass die Anleitung für die Trilock Muttern ebenfalls von Mark Sanders zur Verfügung gestellt wurde? Dann könnte ich diesbezüglich meinen Verwandten ebenfalls fragen. Wieviel dürfte die Produktion der Muttern denn kosten, sodass es für dich interessant wäre und an welche Stückmenge hättest du gedacht?
LG und schönen Abend,
Marek

Dear Chris, thank you very much for your very detailed answer. I think I’ll contact my great cousin. Am I correct in assuming that the instructions for the Trilock nuts were also provided by Mark Sanders? Then I could also ask my relatives about this. How much would it cost to produce the nuts so that it would be interesting for you and what quantity would you have in mind?
Greetings and have a nice evening,
Mark

Lieber Marek,
ja bitte versuche Deinen Großcousin zu erreichen :+1:
Stimmt, das File von Mark Sanders wurde nur minimal modifiziert (optische Kleinigkeit), ich sende es Dir via PM :wink:
Vielen Dank und ebenfalls noch einen schönen Abend,
Chris

Dear Marek,
yes please try to reach your great cousin :+1:
That’s right, Mark Sanders’ file was only minimally modified (visual minor detail), I’ll send it to you via PM :wink:
Thank you very much and have a nice evening too,
Chris

Hello everyone- I’ve been pointed in this direction by Strida in case anyone can help. I’ve been given a Mk 1 Strida to repair for a friend- it’s been sitting in a garage for many years. Both the top and bottom swivels (ball joint and quick release system) are broken, and Strida no longer produce these. Might there be anyone here with spare parts they’d be willing to sell? I’d like to keep this lovely machine on the road if I can! I’m based in the UK.
Thanks,
Ben

Hello Ben,

welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:

Pardon, but I’ve moved your post to this - perfectly matching - thread.
Please read above, there are no news yet.

Regarding the locking mechanism, I can see only one chance to get this part - 3D printing:
Grabcad

Kind regards,

Chris

1 Like