Fake bag?

I have an unusual problem, but this is an unusual city right now. Vancouver BC with the Winter Olympics in 3 weeks. They are banning bikes on all trains except “folding bikes in a bag”.
I have a neon green Strida 5.0 but no bag.

I need something light enough to strap on the rear carrier that can envelop the stationary bike on the train floor strictly for my 16 minute ride on Skytrain. Not a real bag at all. That rules out the golf bag idea used for planes. It only has to survive for 3 weeks, and will have no weight on it at all.

cheers.
Minkair.

Hockey bag? Should be easy enough to find in Canada. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, if you do decide to get the official Strida soft-shell bag, it has convenient velcro straps and it fits perfectly onto the rear rack when folded.

You might want to explore the policy with the transit authority a bit further. in many cities, folding bikes have to be in a bag because of the chain and the potential to get grease on seats and other passengers. When the belt, and it’s no-grease status is pointed out many transit authorities allow the Strida out of a bag. -It’s worth checking into.

Thanks all for the help.! And good point about the greaseless belt drive, I’ll try for that approach tomorrow (first day of ‘ban’). As a backup, I have a giant outdoor garbage bag!

Here’s the sequel. Other than being hassled by one attendant, no problems in 3 weeks of ‘Olympic’ riding.
fotothing.com/photos/314/314 … 1269403047
fotothing.com/photos/26d/26d … 82_8e7.jpg

cheers!
Minkair.

Hey neat trick. just cover up the wheels with any bag and bungie cords and they don’t even think it’s a bike, just some weird contraption you have. good stuff dude!

Don’t tell anyone this, but while buses in my neighbourhood don’t take even folding bikes, as policy, I’ve carried my Strida 3 either before the policy applied or because they didn’t figure out it’s a bike (folding in the handlebars and pedals makes the difference), or, more recently, just by making a large plastic sack… out of a couple of smaller plastic sacks… the most effective, fastest, design being apparently “tall”, i.e. to fit over the top of the upright folded Strida and down to the ground. Tape two bags together, mouth to mouth if you see what I mean, and cut the resulting thing open at one end - and then put tape around the new bag rim to strengthen it.

I thought a larger bag that I could slip Strida into sideways would be quicker, but it wasn’t.

Use the thickest large bags you can find on sale, such as “rubble sacks” (problem: they don’t quite come in Strida width, usually), and you also can roll up the bag and tuck it into the bike’s little luggage rack. However, the bag may not last for very many uses: I’ve put a lot of tape repairs onto mine after only a handful of uses. Still, they’re cheap, i.e. replaceable.

Oh, and best try not to be seen by your driver folding or unfolding the bike, too.

The “genuine” bag may be worth the money. I’ll guess that the non-airline model is more hardwearing?