Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

Adjusting belt tension?

Have a problem with your Strida? The answer is probably in here already, or can be provided by our experienced regular contributors.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

Re: Adjusting belt tension?

Postby Kenngks on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 am

Hi Human Amp,

It is possible to attach photos on how to lossen/tighten the snubber head to get the 0.25 mm gap? I have problem finding the right bolt and nut though you have provided a quite detailed explanation.

Thank you very much.
Kenngks

Postby Human Amp on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey - check out Image
and

and if these don't work ... try whole new 'Strida Tech album'
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Human.Amp/StridaTech#
Bicycle = Human Amplifier :: :: Strida = Portable Human Amplifier
Human Amp

Postby kenngks on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:52 am

Dear Human Amp,

Thanks. Will try it out. :D
kenngks

Postby EvilV on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:07 pm

I have no idea why, but today I started to get the 'popping' sound on hills that tells that the drive belt is too slack. I pushed it uphills so as not to wear the pulleys by slippage and rode it on the flat until I got back home. The SLO has been ridden about 250 miles and never a 'pop' until now really and when I investigated, the BB was tight and seemed well secured by the adjustment hex screw. I suppose it might be possible that some mighty torque applied by me on a hill made the BB slip around even though the securing / adjustment screw remained seemingly secure, but I don't feel it is likely. Another possibility is that the rather warmer temperatures of today have made the belt expand (it is 10c here now, and the bike has been ridden in somewhat cooler temperatures of around -3C to about +5C). However, the belts are not supposed to react like that. Kevlar has a strange negative expansion when warmed. The belt is supposed to be kevlar reinforced, so that shouldn't happen if it's true.

Anyhow - I adjusted it and all seems well now, but I don't have a lot of adjustment left if there is any more expansion. Nothing else can move as far as I can see, so either the belt has stretched or expanded, or the BB slippped around.
EvilV

Postby StridaD on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 am

Perhaps the problem is at the other end ... Does the freewheel have any signs of wear on the teeth? And what about the snubber, does it still have a small enough gap?
StridaD

Postby scaramanga on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm

I posted in the tech forum as i have also had problems adjusting the tension bolt. To add to this ive just found out that Strida i have is in fact a fake one; a Ming Tai.

Does the Ming Tais have the same C-spanner tension adjustment?
scaramanga

Postby scaramanga on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Ive just noticed that Ming now own Strida so it is an official one??

Well ive looked through this post and used a hammer and screw driver to knock that BB back. Nice tight belt :)
scaramanga

Postby RLCH on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:14 am

Sorry for bringing up at old thread ... on my strida 5, i managed to loosen the ring but still not able to move the nut to loosen my belt tension

Any other suggestions?
RLCH

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 pm

No reason to be sorry :D

If you loosened the "ring" (equal to lock ring, groove nut or the part 5 in the rectangle 130-00 shown at the detailed parts drawing, page 12 of the manual) - which part do you mean with the nut?
Strida manual
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Postby RLCH on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi,
I was trying to slide/move part 274 after loosening part5 of section 130-00.
No matter what i do ..the screw 274 does not move in any direction
RLCH

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello RLCH,

please try it like that:
Remove bolt 274 completely, after that insert a drift punch into the thread and move the bottom bracket excenter:
(Disregard the arrows and the Allen key shown below.)
Caution: Do not insert the drift punch too deep at ATS or Schlumpf speed drives - otherwise you might damage the shifting axle which is located inside of the bottom bracket axle!
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Previous

Return to Strida Problems and Answers