First Impressions

One Year!

Well, I have had a very satisfying first year with my Strida LT. I thought it was high-time to chime in with an update:

I fitted out the LT pretty much as I described in the first post, lights, bottle holder, mini-pump, seat bag. I cannot recommend the Cat Eye Reflex light highly enough - it’s first strobe mode is the one I normally use (day and night) because it’s so bright and flashy I don’t think drivers can ignore it; and it fits just about perfectly in place of the rear reflector.

Trickier challenge was carrying my U-lock. With the seat placed high (I’m 5’ 10"), I discovered that a standard size U-lock can ‘lay’ with the lock’s flat bar across the lower rack support with the “U” hanging down inside the frame triangle (basically cross-wise); to minimize any rattle or swinging, I use a hook-loop strap to cinch it in place. The bike folds just fine, it just flexes the belt a bit where they touch, and the lock doesn’t interfere with using the rack as a stand. Of course, I have to unlock the U-lock if I need it and remove it from the rack before folding up the bike when I need a lock, but otherwise it’s very tidy.

Last month, I finally decided I’d had enough of the stock saddle. So I’ve now got a Brooks Flyer (thanks to everyone that suggested it) and have ridden about 40 miles so far on it. It’s not even broken in yet; even so, I’ve already noticed I’m not as road sore after longer rides, the springs make all the difference!

Rides:
I’ve mostly ridden for recreation, short trips, errands. The longest ride (for recreation) was probably around 25 or so miles on dicey city streets. I’ve ridden the last 3 CicLAvia rides here in LA. I’m not sure how many miles total I’ve racked up (several hundreds), I’m still on the original tires (not a good sign), but have been riding more this year than last.

It’s been a great conversation starter too!

All the best,
Triangle Man