More Mk1 planned conversion and possibilities

Hi Guys,

I’ve been enjoying my all original Mk1 lately and is now in the process of acquiring a 2nd Mk1 unit.
So my plan is to pimp and upgrade that one and keep the other one as stock as possible.

So below are my plan to upgrade or do a conversion.
Please do let me know if they are even possible?

1. Top plastic mount/moulding replacement?
    NOTE: This is done already with 3D printed from Mr Sanders file.
  2. Fenders replacements without Reflector mount in front and back.
    NOTE: Stocks are available online, are they cross compatible with all models?
  3. Replace plastic wheel catch when folded with magnet from newer models?
    NOTE: My wheel is still the original 12 spokes version. Can this be done?
  4. Seat mount replacement with QR version?
    NOTE: Need to know if anyone has done this with older models?
  5. Freewheel or is it Crankwheel plastic replacement or upgrade?
  6. Bottom bracket upgrade?
    NOTE: so i can use standard crank and tapered bottom brackets?
  7. I’ve seen some units with rear mounted kickstand. Where to get this one? Whats the name of the kickstand model?

[size=50]Numbering edited, C.[/size]

Hope to learn from you guys? And if you will say just get a modern strida then that is out of the question. Wanted to push the adaptability of this bike even if it needs some frametube modifications?

Thanks in advance
Orzalana

Hi Orland,

3: Theoretically possible but there are some custom parts required.
It is definitely not sufficient just to mount a magnet and a counterplate “somehow” - there is also a tilt - mechanism explicitly required to establish a proper catch function.

5, 6: Attempts like mentioned will lead to several, massive problems I’m afraid:

• Old and new freewheel are pretty different (old had the ratchet inside of the front beltwheel, the newer ones have a common mechanism, built-in in the pulley itself).
  • From the old metal wheels I do know that their pulley and the hub was in fact just one single piece, there was no way to replace the pulley only (Except by a complete new wheel, respectively hub).
  • The bottom bracket is not a separable part on newer frames.

7: Do you have any image links for this kickstand?
Maybe someone could identify it by seeing?

Cheers,

Chris

Many thanks again Chris,

My responses below in bold.

3: Theoretically possible but there are some custom parts required.
It is definitely not sufficient just to mount a magnet and a counterplate “somehow” - there is also a tilt - mechanism explicitly required to establish a proper catch function.
ANSWER: I guess I first need to see the modern Strida that uses this and compare with my unit?

5, 6: Attempts like mentioned will lead to several, massive problems I’m afraid:

• Old and new freewheel are pretty different (old had the ratchet inside of the front beltwheel, the newer ones have a common mechanism, built-in in the pulley itself).
  • From the old metal wheels I do know that their pulley and the hub was in fact just one single piece, there was no way to replace the pulley only (Except by a complete new wheel, respectively hub).
  • The bottom bracket is not a separable part on newer frames.
    ANSWER: Yes I believed you are right here. Quite problematic as the freewheel mech of the crank is integrated in the unit. Might need to re-think my plan on this one.

7: Do you have any image links for this kickstand?
Maybe someone could identify it by seeing?
ANSWER: I think I found a similar stand that might work with my unit?

Cheers
Orzlana